Ebony Boghaunter and Harlequin Darner, Haliburton

ed.barb ed.barb

May 23, 2024, 4:27:32 PMMay 23
to ont-...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

It was interesting reading Chris's account of Ebony Boghaunter in Algonquin. I was out for a walk along the rail trail leading south out of Haliburton today and found about a dozen Ebony Boghaunters! This is by far the greatest number I have ever seen in one location. Usually, I will bump into one or two individuals. Today, I counted 12 different boghaunters, both males and females, in a stretch of about 400m of trail! There is a small bog at the 1 km signpost where I assume they are breeding, but I have never seen so many. I'm wondering if this might be a strong year for them in central Ontario? For anyone wishing to see this species, this location is so easy to access. The walking is flat and you can begin to find them within 200m of the parking area.

As a bonus, I also had a very photogenic Harlequin Darner hawking over the trail at km 1.3.

After a very slow start, it's so nice to see so many odes out and flying.

Cheers,

Ed Poropat

Haliburton, ON

W. fletcheri.JPG