Citrine Forktail, Boreal Bluet @ Sandrin Tract, Northville, June 2 - 3

james holdsworth

Jun 3, 2024, 10:45:35 PMJun 3
to Ont-Odes
Hey,

Yesterday, at the Sandrin Tract, I found a very teneral male Forktail that looked good for Citrine, as well as a Bluet with huge eyespots, suggesting Boreal Bluet. Today I was joined by Scott Connop and Darrell Parsons and we were able to photograph a nice mature male Citrine and inhand photos of the Bluets cerci confirmed Boreal, both of which were new for us in Lambton County.

This is a very interesting site. Besides being almost in my backyard, it’s a former sand extraction pit, now rehabbed into a natural area with three shallow wetland ponds below the watertable, which stay wet most summers. There seems to be a stable population of Carolina Saddlebags here, as well as a healthy population of Azure Bluet, with occasional visits from wandering Spatterdock Darner and Mocha Emerald, to name a few.

Cheers, James H

james holdsworth

Jun 3, 2024, 10:55:57 PMJun 3
to Ont-Odes