Shadow Darners in Brant County

Bill Lamond

Nov 11, 2022, 12:02:49 AM11/11/22
to ont-...@googlegroups.com, HamiltonButterfliesAndDragonflies
Hello,

I was not all surprised to see two female Shadow Darners on the wing at a farm field/woodlot edge in Brantford today (10 November) especially as it was 20oC. Not surprised as it seems to be the latest Aeshna on the wing each year and there has not been a sharp frost here. Ice on the bird baths for a couple of nights but nothing severe. I have to think this species can take a bit of sub-zero weather.

I was able to catch the first one by hand by slowly creeping up and pouncing at the last moment. I've found over the years that for many dragonflies that are perched, they can be approached closely with a very slow methodical creep. After releasing it I thought I caught the other one also by hand and I took photos of it as well. However, when looking at the two photos the markings are identical so I caught the same one twice. Both females had their cerci broken off as I could see both of them at one time perched on either side of me. Nonetheless I did get a photo of the second individual as when I had the one in hand, I felt the other one land on my back and soon after could hear it crunching some insect. I looked over my shoulder but could not see it but I was able to get a picture over my shoulder with my phone.

Also here was a female Eastern Forktail.

These ode encounters were the highlight of a very slow birding day.

Bill

P.S. I looked at the photos more closely and I do think these are different females. The posterior marks on S2 are ever so slightly different. For the markings on these two females to be so similar I have to think they are very closely related, i.e same mother. Food for thought.
Shadow Darner, female number 1, TH&B Rail Trail, south Brant - 10 November 2022 - photo 1 Bill Lamond..jpg
Shadow Darner, female number 1, TH&B Rail Trail, south Brant - 10 November 2022 - photo 2 Bill Lamond..jpg
Shadow Darner, female number 2, TH&B Rail Trail, south Brant - 10 November 2022 - photo Bill Lamond..jpg