Emeralds at Westfield Heritage Village Conservation Area, Flamborough, Hamilton

Bill Lamond

Jun 17, 2024, 12:04:12 AMJun 17
to ont-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yesterday (15 June) on the trails at Westfield, I encountered a handful of Somatochlora. I managed to catch two of them, a female Brush-tipped and a female Kennedy's. I noted one very large individual high overhead that based on size alone was likely a Mocha Emerald. Attempts to net it failed. Despite its apparent size I have been odeing long enough to know that size can be easily misjudged. The individual could have been a Williamson's. Both species occur in this area although Clamp-tipped does not occur in this area of Flamborough.

Interestingly about 15 years ago, Kennedy's was assumed to not occur south of the Shield in Ontario. Paul Smith caught a male Kennedy's Emerald SE of Valens Conservation Area on 8th Conc, Flamborough on 15 June 2010. Since then, the species has been caught at three other locations in the vicinity including at Westfield several years back. Stephanie Allen caught a male Kennedy's at the Oakland Swamp, N of Scotland, Brant County on 6 June 2020. This is the most southern record of the species in Ontario although I note that Paulson (D&D of the East) maps this species for the Lower Peninsula of Michigan and extreme NW Ohio, so the species could potentially be found in the SW counties of Ontario.

Bill
Brush-tipped Emerald, Female at Westfield Heritage Village C.A., Flamborough, ON - 15 June 2024 - photo 1 Bill Lamond..jpg
Brush-tipped Emerald, female at Westfield Heritage Village C.A., Flamborough, ON - 15 June 2024 - photo 2 Bill Lamond..jpg
Kennedy's Emerald, Female at Westfield Heritage Village C.A., Flamborough, ON - 15 June 2024 - photo 1 Bill Lamond..jpg
Kennedy's Emerald, Female at Westfield Heritage Village C.A., Flamborough, ON - 15 June 2024 - photo 2 Bill Lamond..jpg