Possible Slender Baskettails and Great Blue Skimmer on Pelee Island

Y Robert Tymstra

Jun 2, 2022, 5:21:17 PM6/2/22
to Ont-Odes

I had an interesting ode day on Pelee Island yesterday. In the morning, I spotted a few dragonflies flying over the road in a forested area. I pulled over and caught one; it turned out to be a baskettail. Apparently nobody has ever reported a baskettail on the island before (other than Prince Baskettail) so that was pretty exciting. I discovered later that there are actually very few baskettail records anywhere in Essex County. I assumed it would be a Common Baskettail but you never know in the deep south! I took some photos and released it.

In the afternoon, I went out on my bike and found a few more baskettails flying in a clearing on a trail through some cedar savannah. I caught two males and photographed all of the pertinent parts, then released them. I noticed the slender waist on both of these individuals. They sure looked like slenders but it wasn’t until I got home and checked my photos that it started to look like that’s what they actually were!

I went on another 100 metres down the same trail to a forest pond and for a little icing on the cake, found a Great Blue Skimmer roaming around! It was a bit shy and didn’t allow me to capture it but I did manage an identifiable distant shot with my 100mm lens.

There were also lots of saddlebags flying around, many Blue Dashers, Carolinas and Blacks, as well as a few Citrine Forktails. All in all, I spotted at least a couple of dozen baskettails flying around, possibly mostly slenders? Are they immigrants or emerging from some nearby wetland?

Several experts are weighing in on the identification of these baskettails as they are a confusing bunch. But so far, it’s looking like they are actually Slender Baskettails. I’ve posted some photos on Inaturalist.

Today started cool and overcast but when the sun came out this afternoon, I went out in search of them and found four more flying in the same area. I captured two and photographed them. The Great Blue Skimmer was still hanging around, as well.

If anyone wants to see these creatures, please feel free to contact me and i’ll do my best to show you around the island!

Rob Tymstra