Fawn Darner at Fairchild Creek, E of Harrisburg, Hamilton-Wentworth

Bill Lamond

Oct 28, 2022, 1:16:15 AM10/28/22
to ont-...@googlegroups.com, HamiltonButterfliesAndDragonflies
Hi,

I flushed this dragonfly late this afternoon (27 October) along the Harrisburg Rail Trail. It flew very slowly and a couple of times I thought I was going to lose it as it was close to going out of sight. Luckily it landed in view. I suspected it would be a Shadow Darner but with binoculars I could see it almost looked like a large emerald. With a closer look I could see it was a battered male Fawn Darner. I approached slowly and was able to catch it by hand. It was only about 10oC which was the reason it was flying slowly. It is obviously near the end of its life. I doubt there are any females still on the wing.

I wonder how old it is? Impossible to know but based on its appearance, it has been around for some time.

This is the latest I have ever seen this species. I think I have seen it in early October in the past but never this late. I have attached some poor cell phone pictures.

Bill
Fawn Darner male at Harrisburg Rail Trail at Fairchild Creek, Hamilton-Wentworth - 27 October 2022 - photo 2 Bill Lamond..jpg
Fawn Darner male at Harrisburg Rail Trail at Fairchild Creek, Hamilton-Wentworth - 27 October 2022 - photo 3 Bill Lamond..jpg
Fawn Darner male at Harrisburg Rail Trail at Fairchild Creek, Hamilton-Wentworth - 27 October 2022 - photo 1 Bill Lamond..jpg

Paul Smith

Oct 28, 2022, 2:18:20 PM10/28/22
to Bill Lamond, ont-...@googlegroups.com, HamiltonButterfliesAndDragonflies
Hi all.

Not surprising perhaps but the sunny weather has Autumn Meadowhawks active around the back yard, including this pair ovipositing in the pond. As of yesterday at least 4 had survived the recent frosts here.

Paul

IMG_6687bi.jpg
IMG_6689bi.jpg