Algonquin ode count date and Ebony Boghaunter in the park

Chris Cheatle

May 22, 2024, 10:22:40 AMMay 22
to Ont-Odes
First a quick question, can anyone confirm the date the Algonquin ode count will be held this year?

Secondly, regarding Boghaunter in the park. I spent a 4 day holiday weekend in the park. After many unsuccessful attempts over the years to find Boghaunter in the park, it felt like this year I couldn't stop finding them.

Not sure if I just happened to time it perfectly with peak flight, if I'm just getting better at spotting them, or perhaps I was just due for a change in luck.

Locations in the park where I found them:
- not a surprise, I found in the sphagnum slough areas along the Mizzy Lake railbed to the east of Wolf Howl Pond
- I found one in a random sunny clearing about 100m away from the Madawaska along the railway bike trail roughly a kilometer southwest of the Airfield
- I found 1 at BeaverPond trail
- the biggest numbers however (20+ seen) were at the logging road that runs off Arawhon Road south of Costello Creek (the one that goes up to the Forcipate Emerald location). Many were seen in the 1st 400m or so of the road, then it was only after about another kilometer up the road that I started seeing them again, however that may have been down to the clouds moving over and off the sun at times.

cmch...@gmail.com

May 22, 2024, 10:24:41 AMMay 22
to Ont-Odes
Sorry, not Arawhon Road, that's the one that goes up to Mizzy Lake, that should have read Opeongo Road.