19+ Great Blue Skimmer, Lambton and Middlesex, June 17

james holdsworth

Jun 17, 2022, 3:22:51 PM6/17/22
to Ont-Odes
I found 19 great blue skimmers today, mostly along Limerick just south of Coltsfoot Drive, in South East Lambton. I had 11 skimmers (including one female) on the west side of Limerick, which is Lambton county (Possums Joy…my designation only lol) , and eight more individuals on the Middlesex side, which is Skunks Misery.

Given that these skimmers were found in every puddle, pool, wetland and slough with any sunlight and that I only searched about 2% of the actual wetland habitat present here, the actual numbers of individuals could be in the hundreds and suggests a breeding population.

I’ll post photos separately as the page tells me my message is too long for some reason… I guess I haven’t posted here in a while lol

Cheers, James H