Emergence

Bill Lamond

May 16, 2024, 11:35:50 PMMay 16
to ont-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Not a lot of traffic on this forum in the last few years so I'll get things started.

At Point Pelee on 12 May I saw a Carolina Saddlebags on the Northwest Beach. Previous to this there was a "red saddlebags" type (likely a Carolina) observed by Sarah Lamond at Northwest Beach at Point Pelee on 2 May, and about a week later (I think) there was a "red saddlebags" type right at the Tip which flew off before it could be examined by the oders there.

I observed a Swamp Darner on the NW Beach at Point Pelee on 4 May.

All of the above individuals were migrants.

Today (16 May) when I was out birding at Tutela Heights Rd, Brantford, I kept flushing smallish dragons that looked very teneral and would fly off high into trees. I ruled out snaketails as they seemed too short and it is a bit early for the large Rusty Snaketail emergence here that takes place here in the last week of May. I eventually saw one perched and I could see it was a Baskettail but could not catch it with my hat. I caught the next one and could see it was a male Common Baskettail. The next one I saw perched was a female Common based on the size and placement of the terminal appendages. So I am assuming that almost all of the baskettails of the 45 that I saw were Commons. Almost all were teneral and incapable of "normal" flight but later I observed a few that were darting around as they usually do. Thus I think they all emerged today.

While counting the baskettails I flushed a largish dragon that I initially thought spiketail until it flew past me and I could see it was brown. Although the view was fleeting I have no doubt it was a Stream Cruiser a species that was re-discovered in the area two years ago.

Later in the day in north Brantford I had my first skimmer of the years when I saw a Common Whitetail.

take care all,

Bill

Steve Plumb

May 17, 2024, 11:10:06 AMMay 17
to bill-...@hotmail.com, ont-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the post!
I was wondering if this group had gone the way of so many others, lost to the multi-purpose social media apps.
As I am from Maine I have rarely if ever posted here but as with the formerly active NEodes and MEleps groups, I avidly read every post to glean what I could about the goings on in the outside world.
Whether or not the group continues let me deeply thank all who have shared their sightings and knowledge over the years. As there are 172 subscribers I expect others feel that way also.

Best wishes,
Steve

Paul Smith

May 17, 2024, 1:58:00 PMMay 17
to Bill Lamond, ont-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all.

Perhaps one reason for the lack of posts, at least this year, is the slow start to the season.  Here in northwest Hamilton, I saw my first ode on the 13th when a pair of Common Green Darners in tandem, appeared over our pond ovipositing along with a lone male.  They stayed around for maybe an hour than disappeared.  No sign of anything else, including Common Baskettails, which would normally be one of the first things to appear here.  Hope things get busier as the weather warms.

Paul

Chris Cheatle

May 19, 2024, 1:39:38 PMMay 19
to Paul D. Smith, Bill Lamond, Ont-Odes
Following up Paul's message regarding slow emergence. I'm in Algonquin for the holiday weekend. It was 25 and sunny yesterday,  close to 30 today.

Butterflies activity is right about what I would expect based on prior visits to the park at this time of year.

Ode activity however seems well lower than expected. Whitefaces are out although not in huge numbers. I've seen a few American Emerald.

I've found 2 Ebony Boghaunter in different locations,  one expected the other a bit surprising.

I have not seen a single clubtail, a single darner.

In a day and a half I think I have seen 6 corporals and no other skimmers.

Tomorrow is supposed to be equally warm, if weather permits it will be interesting to see what 3 hot days do for activity.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Ont-Odes/13951e02.1d8ce.18f87b40233.Webtop.31%40sympatico.ca.

james holdsworth

May 19, 2024, 4:58:51 PMMay 19
to Ont-Odes

Here in Lambton Shores, things are progressing pretty normally. Lots of Beaverpond Baskettail, Four spotted Skimmer and Corporals of late, just starting to see Lancet Clubtail and Springtime Darner. Had Painted Skimmer a few days ago and a little sand bowl wetland near my house hosted four Carolina Saddlebags, including a pair in wheel. I’ve had this species here 4 years running. Matt Parsons, just today, found at least 3 Stream Cruiser near grand bend, the only location for these in the county.

I’d also like to say I wish this site was more active…I enjoy the discussions and it’s more personal than slapping stuff up on inat.

Cheers, James

Chris Cheatle

May 20, 2024, 10:34:55 PMMay 20
to jmholds...@gmail.com, Ont-Odes
It never stops amazing me how quickly the species makeup and diversity can change. Here in Algonquin today it was the 3rd straight hot sunny day. After such a slow Saturday, things had certainly changed by today:
- Baskettails were out flying in good numbers, no net here in the park of course so cant confirm exactly which
- American Emerald were much more evident
- found a single Uhler's Sundragon
- found an Ebony Boghaunter at a 3rd separate location in the park
- Phanogomphus clubtails were evident in decent numbers at Mizzy Lake
- saw first darner (Common Green) and non Corporal skimmer (Common Whitetail). I didnt find any, but I understand Springtime Darner were also found
- most impressively Corporals must have emerged en masse overnight etc. After seeing so few the first 2 days, hundreds were flying at Mizzy Lake
- damselfly activity, in particular Aurora Damsel was also much more robust.