Swamp Darners near Princeton, Brant

Bill Lamond

May 21, 2024, 8:48:49 PMMay 21
to ont-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Today (21 May 2024) while birding on 3rd Concession Road, Burford, Brant I saw two Swamp Darners interacting high overhead over the road. An easy ID as they are so large and long. Typical of them to fly high in the canopy, and often seen in this way over roads. Later perhaps, the same two were low over the road at eye level flying right around me. With binoculars I could not make out much blue colouration indicating that perhaps these individuals were somewhat teneral. Based on this, these individuals had likely emerged nearby and were not immigrants.

This specie is indeed resident in Ontario but it is also quite migratory. I'm usually uncertain when I see this species whether I am looking at residents or migrants. The species is a bit of an enigma to me in terms of its Ontario status. It is a spectacular and  exciting species to see.

If you are fortunate enough to catch one, be careful when removing from the net. The jaws are enormous. Seemingly twice as large as typical Aeshna darner jaws.

Bill