Cobra Clubtail, Arrowhead Spiketail etc. Wardsville Woods, Middlesex

Blake A. Mann

May 25, 2024, 4:14:20 PMMay 25
to Ont-Odes
This afternoon on a whim, I went to Wardsville Woods in Middlesex County.  This place has been a haven for rarities in the past.
I arrived under cloudy skies, but the sun soon came out.  Early on, I spotted a Cobra Clubtail!  We have had them here in the past, but I missed this one last year.
Around the back pond, I spotted some Double-striped Bluets in wheel.  Another single male was further back up the hill.
After making some rounds, I was working my way back to the parking lot, when I spotted an Arrowhead Spiketail.  I thought maybe it was a tad early, but this was a bonus!
Twin-spotted Spiketail is also here, but I did not see one today.  I discovered both these spiketails here a few years ago.
Another rarity here is Riverine Clubtail, but none yet this year of course.  I only saw one last year, but it was a very poor year for odes in this area.
Other sightings today included a Sedge Sprite, Common Whitetails, Twelve-spotted Skimmers, Eastern Forktails and a single Four-spotted Skimmer.  The four-spotted was a new one here for me it seems!
Of course, there were lots of Midland Clubtails.  A visit here this past Monday revealed my first Midlands of the year.
It is early in the season, so more to come I am sure!
Photos of these will appear on my blog in the near future.

Cheers.
Blake A. Mann
 Wallaceburg, Chatham-Kent