Re: backpropagation is nonbiological

Paul Werbos

May 4, 2018, 2:40:37 PM5/4/18
to Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal, Stanley A. KLEIN, John Jay Kineman, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Asingh2384, Vasavada, Kashyap V, George Weissmann, Robert Boyer, Alex Hankey, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, sisir roy, BVKSastry(Gmail), Dean Radin, Dan Ghiocel, BT APJ, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal <rlpv...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

Thanks, Paul.

Backpropagation, deep learning, deep neural networks,  recurrent neural networks (NNs), and long-term memory are interesting topics. However, my query is how consciousness (defined as experiencer/self and subjective experiences) arises with or without a brain.

Fair enough. My previous post (below) was a response not to your post but to the subject line. Your query now in certainly important -- though tricky here.

To address this query, there are 4 groups of metaphysical frameworks (materialism, idealism, dualism and dual-aspect monism), but how do we decide which one is the best? Do we have any evidence in our mundane life that consciousness exists without a brain (or brain-like NNs)?

The question is tricky, because many people in this discussion have very deep commitments to one or other legitimate definition of the word "consciousness."

I pay most attention to the definition of consciousness qua mind or intelligence. (Please, other folks, I am not attacking the value of other definitions.) In my view, our human intelligence is actually a symbiotic system, combining mundane or brain intelligence with something else, which we have debated at length.

In this view, "mundane" consciousness is the consciousness we see in, or emerging in, the mundane brain, by definition. So of course it does not exist without a brain. In my view, most of those who assert that there is no consciousness in the brain are asserting views which emerge purely IN their mundane brain, displaying behavioral syndromes very familiar to psychiatrists requiring no assumption of soul or spirit to explain them. If my words seem a bit cryptic, I point to the great play Back to Methusaleh by George Bernard Shaw, and the wonderful novel Passage by Connie Willis, which give an excellent second person picture of what is going on in such discussions. (Or Jane Robert's oversoul trilogy, portraying an image of astral travelers she saw in the astral pane who needed the advice: "The brain is a great thing. You should not leave home without it.")

But your first question about four frameworks is another matter. Maybe it is best that I pass on that for now.

Best regards,

   Paul

Vasavada, Kashyap V

May 5, 2018, 10:46:18 AM5/5/18
to Bernard Baars, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bernard,

If you do not mind, I will make a small correction to your statement

“Last year a physics group announced the discovery of the long-sought-for gravity wave-particle, now called the graviton.”

They did not discover graviton, a hypothetical quantum particle through which gravity acts. What they discovered were gravitational waves which were predicted by Einstein’s  classical (not quantum) general theory of relativity, not that anyone doubts existence of gravitons.

In any case please continue your contributions to this group. You seem to be very knowledgeable about biology and neurology.

Best Regards.

Kashyap