RE: Ou and quantum mechanics

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Sep 6, 2017, 1:57:12 PM9/6/17
to Paul Werbos, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your blog. I have the same question as posed by Stan. Does your MQED model give the same results as QED about presently available experimental results? As far as I can tell, there is no known disagreement of QED with experimental data. Modern QM (QED) experiments are usually done with lasers and optics. So they would have noticed discrepancy if it existed. Are you relying on future experiments to tell the difference?

Density matrix (DM) formalism is used very often, especially by condense matter and theoretical chemists. If I understand, this makes approximate calculations doable while exact calculations may be impossible. Do you know of an example where DM calculation gives different results from Schrodinger eq. calculation when doable?

Consciousness is very hard problem for science. Some people may say that it is not relevant to the present investigations in physics          which deal with matter and energy. So I am not sure what you mean by applying MQED to such areas.

I hope you do not mind such criticisms. I think, disagreements are always good for science in the long term.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Sep 6, 2017, 1:57:12 PM9/6/17
to Vasavada, Kashyap V, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Vasavada, Kashyap V <vasa...@iupui.edu> wrote:

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your blog. I have the same question as posed by Stan. Does your MQED model give the same results as QED about presently available experimental results?

Yes, it does. The paper does discuss that, and cites lots of prior work for the details.

As far as I can tell, there is no known disagreement of QED with experimental data. Modern QM (QED) experiments are usually done with lasers and optics. So they would have noticed discrepancy if it existed. Are you relying on future experiments to tell the difference?

Frankly, many of the engineers would not bother to send papers to the philosophical or even superstring theory kinds of journals to explain.

As I just said to Stan, they are mostly happy to find ONE version of QED which works in THEIR application, and I see different choices in different applications. I was in a very unique place to see that, since I was responsible for panels covering the whole gamut of quantum theory and modeling for electronics, photonics and related device technology (also accounting of course for phononics, plasmonics, other pseudoparticles used in electronics and so on). My recent paper on MQED only reviews that aspect briefly, since the quantum optics experiments with double and triple entanglement are complicated enough for most people to understand.

BUT: there are still folks out there who reject ALL forms of reality, including the simple many-worlds models (which the best Bohm models effectively just rederive thorugh the back door), because word leaked out form my IJTP paper of 2008 that the usual \Copenhagen measurement formalism DOES NOT FOLLOW from the many worlds dynamics. So you either give up on reality ALTOGETHER, or you need a new measurement formalism. My 2008 paper DEDUCED a new measurement formalism FROM THE DYNAMICS and the boundary conditions ALONE. Thus by sheer logic, even before experiment, you know you either give up reality ALTOGETHER or go to a new measurement formalism.

Density matrix (DM) formalism is used very often, especially by condense matter and theoretical chemists. If I understand, this makes approximate calculations doable while exact calculations may be impossible. Do you know of an example where DM calculation gives different results from Schrodinger eq. calculation when doable?

That isn't exactly how it works.

When there is a chunk of solid matter in an experiment (guess how many experiments in physics don't involve at least one chunk of solid matter in the lab..), the pure Schrodinger equation calculations are utterly intractable. There is ALWAYS approximation present in that case.

i have seen unitary-thinking theoreticians claim to do exact modeling of what happens to wave functions passing through solid matter, by assuming that their simplified model of that solid block of matter is exact. Exactness by assumption. that reminds me of TV news discussions of fake news, exact by assumption. The most exact models are those which admit that they are approximate, and work hard to get good approximations. The best of that relies on density matrices -- and, in quantum optics, on master equations (and, by the way, on Glauber Sudarshan type distribution functions, which I myself generalized to the case of all bosonic density matrices, much to the horror of some of the high priests).

Strictly speaking, a clever lawyer would ask me to give the exact details of the very specific NSF reviews I was thinking of --- of specific quantum computing device designs which WOULD work according to unitary dynamics, but would NOT ACTUALLY work, according to the many NSF reviewers. That would be the best immediate backup to what I said. But in fact, NSF paid more attention to the Privacy Act than white house and intelligence agencies seem to these days even with classified information, and I feel bound to continue to obey that law even after Lamar Smith has made such huge changes to harmonize the culture. However... I CAN say that people were delighted to fund work following the implementation path laid down by Neil Gershenfeld et al, in their article in Science magazine, where they showed how to encode some of the ideas which the theorists had talked about into actual density matrices. That was a pivotal event in the field.

Consciousness is very hard problem for science. Some people may say that it is not relevant to the present investigations in physics          which deal with matter and energy. So I am not sure what you mean by applying MQED to such areas.

Good question. In a way, I was trying to say what you may be saying here. Among other things, my blog is trying to say what Muni said (more clearly) in his talk at Nepal, where he said we should not weigh down our discussions of consciousness with the albatross of Heisenberg's "fourth commandment." The Heisenberg measurement formalism has ALREADY been replaced by a use of density matrices, which ALREADY gets rid of metaphysical observers. When we discuss whether cats have souls (as I personally believe, but not because of anything in a physics lab), we should feel free to give up any entanglement with quantum measurement or that type of physics. We don't need to put cats into endless Schrodinger types of experiment to test whether they have souls.

HOWEVER, in a totally different context, I have discussed how models of the mundane type of intelligence we see in the neural networks of the brain (a type of consciousness which exists even before any impact of soul, in my view) are essentially the top level of a chain of approximate models, building on MQED to describe how electrons, photons, neutrons, and photons interact. A great chain of approximation. One can go even deeper than MQED, in my view, but the blog already says that. That deeper mathematics COULD be seen as a kind of great perfect mind... or not.. the words do not matter.

I hope you do not mind such criticisms. I think, disagreements are always good for science in the long term.

No, I actually thank you for such very reasonable questions. Yes, they are good. I am especially thankful, given my limited skills in communication, and the level of magturity required to deal in such a reasonable way with my feeble attempts to translate into English.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Sep 6, 2017, 7:47:09 PM9/6/17
to Paul Werbos, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Paul. It will be fine if you mention my name on your blog. Good luck with the experiments you want to be performed.

Best Regards.

Sep 7, 2017, 3:04:48 PM9/7/17
to Vasavada, Kashyap V, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
It would be WAY, WAY too early for that. We don't yet know much about the neural correlates of consciousness (NCC). That would need to come before trying to figure out what the psychon would need to do. The psychon would need to not mess with the NCC.
Stan

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Vasavada, Kashyap V <vasa...@iupui.edu> wrote:

Hi Stan,

Thanks for linking your very interesting article : USING PSYCHIC PHENOMENA TO CONNECT MIND TO BRAIN AND TO REVISE QUANTUM MECHANICS.

Has anyone studied the psychon  concept in detail?

Also I would not worry about

“The major challenge to the introduction of a new particle is that it could easily mess up the super accurate calculations that have presently been made for things like the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron.”. There is still some room for a small contribution given by exchange of some particles such as supersymmetric particles. In fact if my memory serves right there are attempts to increase the experimental accuracy of magnetic moments of both electron and muon to see if there is genuine disagreement at some very high number after the decimal point!!

Best regards.

Kashyap

Sep 7, 2017, 3:04:49 PM9/7/17
to Stanley A. KLEIN, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

C. S. Morrison

Sep 8, 2017, 4:48:26 AM9/8/17
to Vasavada, Kashyap V, Stanley A. KLEIN, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kashyap and Stan

I'd be grateful if someone could summarize the motivation for introducing  a psychon concept.  Is it to account for psychic phenomena? Is it to explain wave function collapse?  Or is it to account for human consciousness?

If it is only the latter, I wonder if there is any need for it.  We already have countless other particles whose ontological nature remains an open question as Eddington pointed out long ago.  Why can't one of these serve as the psychon for human consciousness?

If it is to account for psychic phenomena,  I'd be grateful if someone could tell me where I might find strong grounds for belief in such phenomena.  Although Radin I think claims to have such results, I know of other researchers who have tried and failed to find such evidence.  These researchers may of course be wrong (or perhaps keen not to rock the boat). However,  my main misgivings come from the much more powerful argument that if such phenomena existed., why haven't they been harnessed by all human brains? I suppose you could say that maybe they were and that some have learned to do without them (like flightless birds). But with humans we are talking about pretty much a single species of organism.  Remote viewing, and spoon bending,  would to my mind have conferred a considerable advantage on our ancestors (especially in the light of the popularity attained by those who profess to have such skills). So why are we not now all capable of such feats?

I am very open to the idea that we are some novel particle.  But if so,  that would to my mind only support the view that other particles of matter are also consciousnesses. And given the accuracy of QED it is much more likely that we are one of the particles that this extremely successful theory is known to entail. Given that the brain needs to constantly encode large amounts of sensory data in whatever we happen to constitute,  it is surely more likely that we are something that is known to interact with the particles the brain is made of than something exotic whose interaction needs nee experimental precision to detect.

Best wishes,
Colin

C.  S.  Morrison - Author of THE BLIND MINDMAKER: Explaining Consciousness without Magic or Misrepresentation.

https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Mindmaker-Explaining-Consciousness-Misrepresentation/dp/1541283953

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blind-Mindmaker-Explaining-Consciousness-Misrepresentation/dp/1541283953

Send from Huawei Y360

--
----------------------------
Fifth International Conference

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/6f1332db9e51467f86e5c8b655e511e7%40IN-CCI-EX03.ads.iu.edu.

deepak ranade

Sep 9, 2017, 8:36:54 AM9/9/17