Distrobution for non EDU olpc system

1 view

dgand...@gmail.com

May 31, 2006, 1:00:36 PM5/31/06
to One Laptop Per Child
Since the benefit of liquidating the olpc machine will be reasonably
obvious to most recipients, the only way to keep a black market flow of
these machines from undermining the project is to have them distributed
( plus olpc tax) through a non education based distribution system, to
destroy demand side pressure that would form a black market.

A pledge has been posted to http://pledgebank.com/100laptop suggesting
that 100,000 people pledge to buy a machine at $300 and subsidize the
EDU distribution to the tune of $200.

The one major shortfall being that no distribution system exists to
deal with these machines should they become available. I would like to
discuss the options for distribution .

I would like to begin by suggesting two things.

1) that we consider some form of escrow system which allows people to
transfer funds to such a project, on the stipulation that if it fails (
as in no distribution contract can be negotiated ) the executor will
simply return the funds to the pledgee.

This would allow us to have demonstrable funds to negotiate with, as
well as giving a very clear measure of who is serious about supporting
this.

2) I would like us to consider the options for distribution, focusing
on some manner of sustainable market distribution, perhaps even
wholesale. And considering the costs of such a system, and how it might
be arranged either with an existing distributor, or by setting up
something from scratch which would better meet the needs of the olpc
project.