Tuesday, August 13 -- "Stopping Montana Coal Exports and the Climate Crisis" — Panel / Community Dialogue in Helena

Francis Kromkowski

Aug 12, 2013, 8:57:48 PM8/12/13
to Occupy Helena Discussion List, Occupy Bozeman Discussion List, Occupy Missoula

Aug 10, 2013  Panel/Community Dialogue  -- "Stopping Montana Coal Exports and the Climate Crisis"

On Tuesday, August 13th, at 7:00pm in  Helena at Saint Paul’s United Methodist Church ( 512 Logan Street), the Helena Service for Peace and Justice (SERPAJ), the  Blue Skies Campaign and the Montana Environmental Information Center (MEIC)  will host a panel on the threat of Montana coal exports and how Montanans can engage in protecting our state from becoming a coal resource colony

Coal industry proposals to expand mining in Montana and ship millions of tons of coal annually to China represent one of the largest new fossil fuel expansion projects in North America, and pose threats to Montana agriculture, the health of our communities, and the global climate.  Montana state officials are poised to make important decisions about whether coal mine-for-export projects move forward, possibly as early as this fall.

On August 13th, panelists will discuss opportunities for citizens to help stop coal export proposals in their tracks.

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/491911064234803/  and https://www.facebook.com/HelenaSERPAJ

Members of the audience will hear from and have a chance to ask questions of the following panelists:

Anne Hedges:  program director and lead lobbyist for the Montana Environmental Information Center (MEIC , https://www.facebook.com/MTEIC).  Based in Helena, MEIC is one of Montana’s most important environmental advocacy groups, seeking to protect and restore Montana’s natural environment and the health of our communities.  Founded in 1973, MEIC now has over 5,000 members and supporters across the state.

Dr. Georgia Milan, MDMissoula physician, Dr. Milan  recently received a nationally recognized Champion of Change award from the White House for her work to raise awareness about the health effects of climate change.  In her work to educate the public about the health impacts of carbon and other pollutants from coal fired power plants, Dr. Milan has travelled across Montana, speaking to groups around the state.  Earth Justice named Dr. Milan a  2013 Clean Air Ambassador: http://earthjustice.org/50states/2013/georgia-milanClean Air Ambassadors from every state are sending a powerful message: Everyone has a right to breathe clean, healthy air. It’s time Congress and the EPA used their ears to help our lungs… Earthjustice is a non-profit public interest law organization dedicated to protecting the magnificent places, natural resources, and wildlife of this earth, and to defending the right of all people to a healthy environment..”

Nick Engelfried:  an organizer for the Missoula-based Blue Skies Campaign, which works to protect Montana communities from the impacts of coal mining, transport, and export.  Blue Skies is committed to using peaceful and creative tactics to engage the public in stopping coal exports, and last year coordinated the largest climate-related nonviolent civil disobedience in Montana history, http://coalexportaction.org/.

Nick Engelfried of the Blue Skies Campaign explained why the panel’s topic is important:

Coal industry proposals to expand mining in Montana and ship millions of tons of coal annually to China represent one of the largest new fossil fuel expansion projects in North America, and pose threats to Montana agriculture, the health of our communities, and the global climate.  Montana state officials are poised to make important decisions about whether coal mine-for-export projects move forward, possibly as early as this fall.   On August 13th, panelists will discuss opportunities for citizens to help stop coal export proposals in their tracks.”

Event details:

What: Panel on Stopping Montana Coal Exports and the Climate Crisis

When: Tuesday, August 13th, 7:00pm

Where: Saint Paul’s United Methodist Church, Fellowship Hall, 512 Logan Street, Helena.

Why: Learn about upcoming opportunities to stop Montana coal exports, and protect our state from becoming a coal resource colony!

The Helena Service for Peace and Justice 406-443-0843

E-mail address: Helena...@gmail.com

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HelenaSERPAJ

For additional information about Coal Exports from Montana, visit the Facebook pages/websites  of the Montana Environmental Information Center  (https://www.facebook.com/MTEIC and http://www.meic.org ), the Blue Skies Campaign (https://www.facebook.com/blueskiesmissoula), and Coal Export Action (https://www.facebook.com/coalexportaction and http://coalexportaction.org/)

The Helena Service for Peace and Justice -- a Local Affiliate of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, http://forusa.org/groups/affiliate-groups/helena-service-for-peace-justice

We, the people of the Helena Service for Peace and Justice, are a community of persons committed to working nonviolently for peace, justice and ecological responsibility.

Because we are people with hope, we have organized ourselves as a grassroots community of peace and justice workers.

Our hope is grounded in the truth that peace, justice and nonviolent living are possible.

Our actions flow from our belief that real peace is the fruit of social and economic justice, democratic empowerment of people and ecological responsibility…

… from the October 4, 1990 SERPAJ Statement of Purpose