Fwd: Connecting IT infrastructure with Governance and Methodologies

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Sep 22, 2017, 4:21:33 PM9/22/17
to ovnsinfra...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tiberius Brastaviceanu <tiberius.br...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM
Subject: Connecting IT infrastructure with Governance and Methodologies
To: SENSORICA <Sens...@googlegroups.com>, Open Value Networks Infrastructure <OVNsInfrastru...@googlegroups.com>, Bob Haugen <bob.h...@gmail.com>
Cc: Joshua Vial <jos...@enspiral.com>

Hi all,

For almost 8 years now, sensoricans have designed IT infrastructure (tools), Governance (rules) and Methodologies of work to allow the network to function in the contexts that we have experienced. SENSORICA and its OVN model is constantly evolving as we encounter new experiences.

Around one year ago, we started to better articulate the interaction between the 3 layers of IT infrastructure, Governance and Methodologies of work. Note that there's a 4th important dimension that we don't talk about very often: Values and Culture. As we are preparing to scale with the Verdun project and as we are getting ready to revamp our IT infrastructure, I am taking some concrete steps to already connect the 3 layers mentioned above, to see the impact on our community. One example is this Resource Type linked below. Take a look at its description and come back for more.

Here's a use case.

Jack joins SENSORICA and starts a new project.
[Skipping all the actions/tasks in between],
Jack now wants to write a business plan, because he will apply for funding for this project.
The business plan lives in a document.
Jack needs to follow SENSORICA's rules and methodologies related on openness and transparency. Openness and transparency are deeply linked to SENSORICA's economic model, so they are very important aspects.
Jack needs to know that there are Content rules (Governance) which make cocreation or editing in groups, easier.
Jack needs to be aware of the project-level governance, which is the immediate context in which this activity is carried out.
Jack needs to understand and follow the collaborative methodology, meaning to create a doc, share it, store it in the proper place, announce the intention, call for collaboration and oversight, ... all that before employing a methodology for collaborative editing of a business plan, with regular meetings and workparties, following a planning, ...

If the IT infrastructure (to tools we use to perform our digital work), the Governance and the Methodology are not coupled, Jack who wants to write a business plan would not know that there are rules and methodologies to follow within SENSORICA, which have been developed over the years to make our collaborative work very effective and efficient. He would have to stumble on the Governance doc or ask around for a methodology. But the most likely outcome is that Jack will probably create a text document on his desktop, start writing, save it, perhaps send a copy to one or 2 collaborators, ... exchange a few copied / versions of the doc back and forth a few times until no one knows which is the most recent version, ... the traditional way of doing stuff which is not at all compatible with effective and efficient collaborative work.

So we need to make sure that anyone who wants to do something can find a formal method (a recipe) in the NRP (if not to create a recipe), that anyone who decides to create some sort of resource to know what rules govern it, what methodology to use to handle it, etc.

For now, our Governance is not computable. Our rules are pieces of text that human being need to read. We are NOT using smart contracts, attached to resources and processes that automatically guide our actions.
At this moment, the NRP links planning, methodologies of work, with Resources. This is done through Recipes that are attached to Resources. The idea is there, already implemented, but like anything else it needs to be improved.

My efforts now is to insert info about Governance and Methodology into the description of Resource Types. Also, I plan to insert info about Governance into Recipes. That will make it easier for people to at least acknowledge the fact that sensoricans follow rules and methods that have been refined over the years and together form a body of best practices and form the backbone of our organization.

If you are passionate about the OVN formal structured and want to contribute, you can shadow my work or contribute to my work. You'll definitely learn a lot about OVNs by playing with its guts a bit.

--

co-founder of SENSORICAan open value network
co-founder of CAKEconsulting for the new economy