OpenIndiana Announcement

Martinus Ady H

Sep 14, 2010, 8:28:06 PM9/14/10
to osug-in...@googlegroups.com
Hii teman-teman, hanya ingin sekedar berbagi informasi saja bagi yang
belum tahu :)

What is OpenIndiana ?
OpenIndiana is a continuation of the OpenSolaris operating system. It
was conceived during the period of uncertainty following the Oracle
takeover of Sun Microsystems, after several months passed with no binary
updates made available to the public. The formation proved timely, as
Oracle discontinued OpenSolaris soon after in favour of Solaris 11
Express, a binary distribution with a more closed development model to
debut later this year.

OpenIndiana is part of the Illumos Foundation, and provides a true open
source community alternative to Solaris 11 and Solaris 11 Express, with
an open development model and full community participation.

Is OpenIndiana a �Fork�?
Kind of.

OpenIndiana aims to be binary and package compatible with Solaris 11 and
Solaris 11 Express, and most of the operating system is built from
source code that Oracle continues to make available. So in some ways,
our relationship is similar to the way the CentOS project tracks Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.

However there are differences, for example we intend to use Illumos in
place of the official OS/Net consolidation, and we also intend to
provide improvements on top.

Is there a live CD I can download and try?
Yes, from 14th September you will be able to download our first ISO -
please see http://openindiana.org/downloads.

We will also make IPS repositories available that you can use to update
an existing install from OpenSolaris to OpenIndiana.

Where can I get more info/keep up to date with the project?

Communication related to development happens on our IRC channel,
#openindiana on irc.freenode.net

We have a Wiki at http://wiki.openindiana.org (Which you're on now!)

Finally we have a bug tracker available at:
http://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues

--
Regards,

Martinus Ady H.
Registered Linux User #410906
Personal Blog : http://martinusadyh.web.id/
Planet NetBeans ID : http://planetnetbeans.org/id/index.html
Planet Slackware ID : http://planet.slackware-id.org/

Martinus Ady H

Sep 14, 2010, 8:30:07 PM9/14/10
to Martinus Ady H, osug-in...@googlegroups.com

Ups maaf... download page-nya masih harus didownload pada alamat ini
http://dlc-origin.openindiana.org/isos/