count of database serevr CPUs

Mohammed Mostafa

Sep 27, 2011, 9:02:49 AM9/27/11
to oracle_db...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I need to know teh number of CPUs (or COREs) of teh database server from sql statement.

can u help me in this regard

Thank you in advance

ddf

Sep 27, 2011, 11:27:45 AM9/27/11
to ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS
There are at least two ways to get this information from Oracle:

SQL> show parameter cpu

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
cpu_count integer 2
parallel_threads_per_cpu integer 2
resource_manager_cpu_allocation integer 2
SQL>

SQL> select name, value
2 from v$parameter
3 where name = 'cpu_count';

NAME
VALUE
--------
cpu_count
2

SQL>

There may be other wsys as at least two of the management views
contain such information, views populated by the management agent for
OEM.

Remember that Oracle considers a core as a cpu, so a single dual-core
cpu will be considered as 2 CPUs.

David Fitzjarrell

TARIQ ISLAM

Sep 27, 2011, 12:01:25 PM9/27/11
to oracle_db...@googlegroups.com
Try this plesae:

SQL> SHOW PARAMETER CPU;

ddf

Sep 27, 2011, 4:45:13 PM9/27/11
to ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS
> >http://groups.google.com/group/oracle_dba_experts?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

I did menetion that in my prior post; please read the thread before
posting to avoid duplication of answers.

David Fitzjarrell

jgar the jorrible

Sep 27, 2011, 5:42:55 PM9/27/11
to ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS

On Sep 27, 1:45 pm, ddf <orat...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 9:01 am, TARIQ ISLAM <tariq.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Try this plesae:
>
> > SQL> SHOW PARAMETER CPU;
>
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Mohammed Mostafa
>
> > <mohamedmora...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear All,
>
> > > I need to know teh number of CPUs (or COREs) of teh database server from sql
> > > statement.
>
> > > can u help me in this regard
>
> > > Thank you in advance
>
> > > --

> I did menetion that in my prior post; please read the thread before
> posting to avoid duplication of answers.

That might be difficult if one is reading and responding to this in
email. There is a quite possibly large lag time. Even online, google
groups sometimes has delays.

> David Fitzjarrell

cpu_count is setable. So the correct response to the initial post may
be "why exactly do you want to know?" or perhaps, "ask the OS
directly."

From the 11g docs:

"If CPU_COUNT is set to 0 (its default setting), then Oracle Database
continuously monitors the number of CPUs reported by the operating
system and uses the current count. If CPU_COUNT is set to a value
other than 0, then Oracle Database will use this count rather than the
actual number of CPUs, thus disabling dynamic CPU reconfiguration.
When Resource Manager is enabled, setting CPU_COUNT limits the CPU
utilization to approximately CPU_COUNT processors."

In earlier versions, he-man DBA's would mess with it for all sorts of
silly reasons.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:36798353051561

ddf

Sep 27, 2011, 7:23:29 PM9/27/11
to ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS

On Sep 27, 2:42 pm, jgar the jorrible <joel-ga...@home.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 1:45 pm, ddf <orat...@msn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 27, 9:01 am, TARIQ ISLAM <tariq.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Try this plesae:
>
> > > SQL> SHOW PARAMETER CPU;

> > I did menetion that in my prior post; please read the thread before
> > posting to avoid duplication of answers.
>
> That might be difficult if one is reading and responding to this in
> email.  There is a quite possibly large lag time.  Even online, google
> groups sometimes has delays.
>

> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> cpu_count is setable.  So the correct response to the initial post may
> be "why exactly do you want to know?" or perhaps, "ask the OS
> directly."
>
> From the 11g docs:
>
> "If CPU_COUNT is set to 0 (its default setting), then Oracle Database
> continuously monitors the number of CPUs reported by the operating
> system and uses the current count.  If CPU_COUNT is set to a value
> other than 0, then Oracle Database will use this count rather than the
> actual number of CPUs, thus disabling dynamic CPU reconfiguration.
> When Resource Manager is enabled, setting CPU_COUNT limits the CPU
> utilization to approximately CPU_COUNT processors."
>
> In earlier versions, he-man DBA's would mess with it for all sorts of
> silly reasons.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:3...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Joel, I completely forgot about email posting. And thanks for
the discussion; it's been busy here with migrations and new releases
so I haven't given the group much attention.

My apologies to all.

David Fitzjarrell

Mohammed Mostafa

Sep 28, 2011, 1:07:19 AM9/28/11
to oracle_db...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Thank you so much for your input

Mohammed Mostafa

Mohammed Mostafa

Sep 28, 2011, 3:45:00 AM9/28/11
to oracle_db...@googlegroups.com
another small question , I have 2 processors dual core so logically i have 4 processors ,physically i have 2

So for oracle license how many processors should be in teh license 2 or 4?

Thank u in adance

ddf

Sep 28, 2011, 11:52:09 AM9/28/11
to ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS

On Sep 28, 12:45 am, Mohammed Mostafa <mohamedmora...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> another small question , I have 2 processors dual core so logically i have 4
> processors ,physically i have 2
>
> So for oracle license how many processors should be in teh license 2 or 4?
>
> Thank u in adance

4. Oracle licenses cores as though they were stand-alone processors.

David Fitzjarrell

jgar the jorrible

Sep 28, 2011, 12:27:02 PM9/28/11

wrote:
> another small question , I have 2 processors dual core so logically i have 4
> processors ,physically i have 2
>
> So for oracle license how many processors should be in teh license 2 or 4?
>
> Thank u in adance

This can be surprisingly hard to answer. Download the Software
Investment Guide from oracle.com. In there they give examples which
refer to the core factor table
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/processor-core-factor-table-070634.pdf

If you don't have any of those processors, then David's answer is
probably right. But Oracle can mess you up at any time, as those of
us on hp Itanium learned the hard way. So, many people say: beware of
any licensing advice on the internet. And I add: keep local copies
of anything you see online from Oracle about licensing.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/articles/223203-canons-imaging-technologies-integrated-with-oracle-software-products.htm