Importing a table of network links with delimited sources and targets

jenne...@law.byu.edu

Jun 14, 2021, 1:14:43 AM6/14/21
to ORA Google Group
Hello Ora team/community,

I'm trying to import a table of network links using the import wizard in Ora Pro 3.0.9.126 for Mac (64 bit). I've fiddled with the data, reviewed the manual, and searched the Ora google group, but I can't seem to figure out why the network will not load, either as a static or dynamic network (I get a network with no nodes and no links).

Attached is a copy of the raw data I'm trying to import and screenshot of my import selections.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much,

Matt

ORA import screenshot.pdf
DE 2006 for ORA.xlsx

Kathleen Carley

Jun 14, 2021, 8:33:57 AM6/14/21
to ORA List
that should have worked - are you using version 126?
here is the network

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

jenne...@law.byu.edu

Jun 14, 2021, 11:03:27 AM6/14/21
to ORA Google Group
Thank you!

Yes, I'm using version 3.0.9.126 for Mac.

The .xml file you shared is looking better than what I am getting, but it still only shows a network of agents from the "Judge" column in my data file -- the agents from the "Attorney" column do not appear. So, something still seems awry.

Matt

Kathleen Carley

Jun 14, 2021, 11:20:08 AM6/14/21
to ORA List
that is because that is the only network I imported.
You need to in the bottom panel
add in each network by selecting the row for source then row for column
then say to add  second network ...
once all networks are listed hit run

jenne...@law.byu.edu

Jun 14, 2021, 12:31:50 PM6/14/21
to ORA Google Group
Thanks for working this out with me. Any chance you have a screenshot of the import selections you're using? I don't know what you mean when you say "that is because that is the only network I imported," because I'm not sure how you got a Judges only network. The Judges column should be the source, and the Attorneys column should be the target. A judges only network would be like selecting the Judges column for both the source and the target.

Fwiw, I have a version of the dataset without delimiters in the Judge and Attorney columns, and I tried importing that also. Copy of data attached and screenshot of import selections. This also results in a null network -- 0 nodes and 0 links.

Thank you!

Short DelLitNet for test.xlsx
ORA import of non-delimited data.pdf

Kathleen Carley

Jun 15, 2021, 4:57:43 PM6/15/21
to ORA List
add in networks.pptx

jenne...@law.byu.edu

Jun 15, 2021, 11:55:56 PM6/15/21
to ORA Google Group
Thanks for this! Yes, in regard to your slide 3, I was trying to use the delimited node ID function to parse those cells with multiple attorney names. However, I have the data in the alternative format you mentioned: A separate column for each attorney. I tried out a small sample of the data in that format and still ran into the same issue.

This link is to a 2.5 minute screencast that shows how I walked through the import steps (sample data I used is attached):

 Can't thank you enough for the help. I've had some hiccups importing data in prior versions of ORA before, but I've been able to sort them out. This one has me stumped.

Matt
Short DelLitNet for test.xlsx

Kathleen Carley

Jun 16, 2021, 8:33:56 AM6/16/21
to ORA List

Mihovil Bartulović

Jun 16, 2021, 8:57:31 AM6/16/21
to ORA Google Group
Hi,

I just followed what you did in the video on my Mac (ORA v126 as well) and get the same result as you.

That being said, you need to keep the "Create new nodes for unrecognized Node IDs" on as that will crate new nodes into ORA. Unchecking that box assumes you already have nodes in your workspace and you are just adding a new network into already existing dynamic meta network.

Additionally, depending on what you need to with your network, you can consider renaming each of the Nodeset IDs to be Judge / Attorney (or Attorney N) otherwise all nodes with the same Nodeset ID ORA will clump together and you will get  (Judges U Attorneys) x (Judges U Attorneys) network.

Best,

Mihovil

jenne...@law.byu.edu

Jun 16, 2021, 12:21:38 PM6/16/21
to ORA Google Group
Hello Mihovil -- Thank you so much for identifying the stupid mistake I was making! I had a different understanding of the "make new nodes for unrecognized node IDs" option, and that has made all of the difference. Thankfully, it also looks like loading the delimited node IDs works, which is going to save a ton of time on preprocessing. Thanks!

Matt