Doubts in analysis using ORA

rona kurian

Aug 1, 2023, 2:03:45 PM8/1/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir/ Madam,
As part of my doctoral dissertation, I am using ORA for one of my studies. But I have encountered two problems while analyzing. The first question is a methodological concern, and the second one is technical as well.
  1. I have collected data using a questionnaire (survey method). The participants (agents) are asked to rate their formal and informal interactions on a scale. There for each agent pair I have two values representing each cell. Should I take the average or median of the two values (final answer would essentially be the same as there are only two observations). This question arises as the scale is ordinal.
  2. Second question is on when to use summation or product as a means to combine the objective function while executing an "optimizer" procedure
I shall be highly obliged if you could kindly give clarity on this.
Regards
Rona Elizabeth Kurian
Doctoral Scholar, OBHR Area, IIMK

Kathleen Carley

Aug 1, 2023, 2:31:47 PM8/1/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
  1. I have collected data using a questionnaire (survey method). The participants (agents) are asked to rate their formal and informal interactions on a scale. There for each agent pair I have two values representing each cell. Should I take the average or median of the two values (final answer would essentially be the same as there are only two observations). This question arises as the scale is ordinal.
the most appropriate measure would be the mode

  1. Second question is on when to use summation or product as a means to combine the objective function while executing an "optimizer" procedure
summation is used when the items being combine are independent and contribute equally

product is used when the items being combined re-enforce each other and make it more complex

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

rona kurian

Aug 2, 2023, 2:43:19 AM8/2/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Carley,
Thank you so much for the response.
One more question on QAP/MRQAP analysis: how do I understand the p-value or statistical significance from the QAP/MRQAP analysis report?
Regards
Rona Elizabeth Kurian

Kathleen Carley

Aug 2, 2023, 3:57:47 PM8/2/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
you need to at the scores
qap is just like a correlation
mrqap just like a linear regression
but they are run a large number of times e.g. 100 on permutations
so it calculates beta or the correlation  on  the data
permits a row/col pair and runs again
it then looks to see if the one on the raw data is in this distribution of scores - - that sets the significance