Network Visualization

mahya s

Aug 9, 2023, 1:09:49 PM8/9/23
to ORA Google Group

Hello, Is there any way to re-organize the visual of the network into a more readable format? Such as organizing the resources, tasks, agents and knowledge nodes into rows, swimlanes, or groups? (my network visual is attached)

Thanks,

Mahya

Figure 1 (1).pdf

Kathleen Carley

Aug 9, 2023, 1:14:56 PM8/9/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
you can pin the nodes and then move them where you want

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

mahya s

Aug 9, 2023, 1:18:09 PM8/9/23
to ORA Google Group
Yes, it works! Thank you for your response.

Kathleen Carley

Aug 9, 2023, 1:19:57 PM8/9/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
that's probably the best option for you
  given the way a meta-network works

Jon Storrick

Aug 9, 2023, 1:24:20 PM8/9/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mahya,

One way to improve the overall legibility of Labels is "Node Appearance -> Label Style -> Draw Label Borders". Instead of drawing simple black text, that option will cause the labels to have white borders around the text. I should probably make that the default option...

The first thing I'd suggest is "Layouts -> Run Box Layout". This will put 1-4 Nodesets on each side of a 1-4 sided shape (circle, parallel lines, triangle, square). It can make seeing the connections between levels a bit hard though.
image.png

Another option I tend to like is "Layouts -> Run Circle Layout (Pendants to outside)". This will move all of the pendants to the outside, with everything one degree from a pendant one ring in, and so on, and so on.

image.png

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 1:09 PM mahya s <sam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science
http://casos.cs.cmu.edu/
---

Jon Storrick |  jon.storrick (at) gmail.com
he · him · his

mahya s

Aug 9, 2023, 5:01:35 PM8/9/23
to ORA Google Group

Thank you. These are very helpful ways to do it. The only thing that is different in my ORA is that, I don't have "Draw Label Borders". (please see attached. maybe m ORA version is old (ORA-lite 2.3.2)
Thanks

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 4.56.51 PM.png