Value of Agent Attributes for Simulated Networks

rona kurian

Aug 17, 2023, 10:05:33 AM8/17/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir/ Madam,
In ORA, I have included "acceptance of change" (measured using a scale) as an attribute of the agents.
I have a set of simulated networks generated using the optimizer function. Is there a way to get a corresponding value of acceptance of change for the simulated networks? If yes, how can I do it?
Thank You
Rona Elizabeth Kurian

Kathleen Carley

Aug 17, 2023, 10:09:53 AM8/17/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Sorry ORA does not calculate new attribute values automatically

In the editor you can add, modify, delete attributes, or recode them to new scales or create attributes as functions of either network measures or other attributes

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

Christian Morgner

Dec 5, 2023, 4:39:08 AM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

I am trying to import data from an excel spreadsheet into ORA. I am not relay getting this to work. There are quite a few error messages during the import and in the end the application freezes. It could be that the formatting of the original dataset to be imparted does not work well with the import function, but I couldn’t really find much on the internet how to best do this. I would appreciate your help with that. Happy to share the dataset if that helps other than in this forum.

Many thanks,
Christian

Kathleen Carley

Dec 5, 2023, 8:13:19 AM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
First, what version of ORA are you using?
Second what format is the data in?
Knowing those two things, we can help trouble shoot this.

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science
http://casos.cs.cmu.edu/
---

Christian Morgner

Dec 5, 2023, 10:57:29 AM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
I am using Ora 3.09.163. The data is in an excel table. Many thanks, Christian

Mihovil Bartulović

Dec 5, 2023, 11:08:00 AM12/5/23
to ORA Google Group

Dear Christian ,

Thank you for the info. I have a follow up question:

How is your data organized in the excel table and what import method are you using?

 If you go into ORA -> File -> data import wizard -> expand the Import Excel and text delimited files section -> each of the subsection shows data samples that you can import with that method.  Which one matches your data best? If there are no conflicts, you can attach a small sample of your data here and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Mihovil

Kathleen Carley

Dec 5, 2023, 11:11:11 AM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
ok - that version seems fine on import, maybe share a small sample of the data?

Christian Morgner

Dec 5, 2023, 11:28:51 AM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Here is a small example of the data and I have used the third import function, see screenshot. Many thanks, Christian

First NameSurnameCountry_OriginCont_OriginYear G_NameG_CityG_Country
KikiSmithUSANA2009(re) D. GalleryAntwerpBelgium
OlgaKisselevaRussiaEU2017[dip] Contemporary ArtLuganoSwitzerland
JosephKosuthUSANA2017[dip] Contemporary ArtLuganoSwitzerland
WANG XingweiChinaAS201301100001BeijingChina
WANG XingweiChinaAS201401100001BeijingChina
SanjaIvekovicCroatiaEU20161 Mira MadridValenciaSpain

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 16.27.49.png

Mihovil Bartulović

Dec 5, 2023, 11:52:46 AM12/5/23
to ORA Google Group
Dear Christian,

there are numerous ways to approach this dataset and numerous ways to create networks for this dataset.

You have to ask yourself is - what is/are my network(s)? Do you want to see how G_Name connects to G_City or how first name connects to surname?

ORA works on networks, so you need to define one. All of the values you have in your data can be attributes to a node but also can be nodes themselves.

Thanks!

Mihovil

Christian Morgner

Dec 5, 2023, 12:11:28 PM12/5/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mihovil,

Many thanks.

There are couple of ways to look at this from a network perspective that I would like to understand.

I would like to understand as follows:
(1) how do artists (names) relate to a certain gallery (I am interesting in identifying gatekeepers, but also which artists are part of what gallery and how is this changing over time). The focus is here on identifying key nods in the network.

(2) how does the country of origin and or continent relate to the country and/or city where the exhibition takes place. What are the networks between them? I want to look at networks across space and how is this changing over time. For instance, is there a centre and a periphery? Do we see global versus regional networks? Do we see that some regions are virtually cut off. Are there strong (frequent connections) and are there weak (few connections) ties in this network?

Many thanks,
Christian

Mihovil Bartulović

Dec 6, 2023, 1:45:18 PM12/6/23
to ORA Google Group
Dear Christian,

Sounds like you need 5 networks from what I can see - Name x Gallery_Name, Country_Origin  x City_Gallery, Continent_Origin  x  City_Gallery , Country_Origin  x Country_Gallery,  and Continent_Origin  x  Country_Gallery.

For that go to file -> data import wizard -> Excel and text delimited files section ->Table of Network links -> select your data and create your nodesets and time (see attached image as an example, disregard the PERSON field that was me creating Artist Name + Surname column). After creating nodesets you can create networks by pressing new on the bottom where you  select source and target nodes for your bimodal networks. After creating all the networks you're interested in press next -> finish and ORA will create all the networks within a dynamic meta network so you can see how stuff changes in your data over time.

Hope this helps!

Mihovil
networks.PNG

Mihovil Bartulović

Dec 8, 2023, 9:35:12 AM12/8/23
to ORA Google Group
Dear Christian,

The node attributes importer looks similar as the similar data can be used to create node attributes. Network attributes importer is for adding attributes/features to the nodes in an already existing network. i.e. if you have Artist x Gallery network and you want to add an artist Country of Origin, Age, Gallery Location etc - it wont change the network just add more context to it. Node attribute data would look something like this:

Artist_1 | Artist_1_DOB | Artist_1_Location .....
.
.
.

Artist_n | Artist_n_DOB | Artist_n_Location .....

One row per artist with all the information in separate columns that would be then attached to that node for the desired network.

Looking at your data - ORA can work on one excel sheet at the time for importing networks so from what I can see, and given our previous emails, you want to work with the Gallery_Exhibitions sheet. From that sheet you would need to selects which ones you want to look at and which networks you want to create (as shown in the screenshot I attached in the previous response). Once you are happy with the networks you have i.e. Artist x Gallery etc you can use the network attributes importer to add attributes to each of the nodes i.e. add gender, age, location to the Artist nodeset or add location, country to the Gallery nodeset.

Hope this helps!

Mihovil

Christian Morgner

Dec 8, 2023, 11:20:53 AM12/8/23
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mihovil,

Many thanks. Hopefully, I can make this work. If there is a step by step video that I can refer to please let me know.

Best wishes,
Christian

Mihovil Bartulović

Dec 8, 2023, 11:25:21 AM12/8/23
to ORA Google Group
Dear Christian,

there are no video tutorials online but if you go under ORA -> Help -> Help Contents -> search network links the fist topic should a very detailed step by step write-up on how to import data.

Best,

Mihovil

Christian Morgner

Dec 8, 2023, 11:26:27 AM12/8/23