Visual Glitches when viewing ORA on a PC

Sean Swayze

Jul 1, 2020, 6:46:25 PM7/1/20
to ORA Google Group
Hi all, I've been working with ORA on my MacBook for the last few weeks, but I've recently installed the software on my much more powerful PC desktop because of the larger datasets I am now using. Unfortunately, there are a number of visual glitches that make the software extremely difficult to use. Is this problem known and if so, is there a known fix? Thanks.

Example of glitch below:

Jeff Reminga

Jul 6, 2020, 4:26:59 PM7/6/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

We have never seen this problem before, but we suspect that you have run out of memory and perhaps were trying to move the ORA window? This would cause it to draw itself slowly.
The data you have loaded is quite small, however, and so we are not too certain.
One way to check how much memory is being used within ORA, and how much memory ORA has available is by using from the main ORA menu: System \ System Monitor.
I would be curious to know if ORA using all available memory.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

Sean Swayze

Jeff Reminga

Jul 9, 2020, 2:35:52 PM7/9/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Is there anything else in your setup that is distinct - such as dual monitors? Do any other programs behave like this for you?
Just brainstorming...
Thanks,
Jeff

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ORA-google-group/b0b6322c-60e6-4891-8eee-893e9cfc8744o%40googlegroups.com.

Sean Swayze

Jul 9, 2020, 2:41:29 PM7/9/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,
I totally understand. I think my case is pretty ordinary. I’m running a single monitor and as far as I know, this is the only program that does this. I downloaded it pretty recently and the problem became apparent pretty quickly after using it for the first time. Is this a bug from an earlier version? I can try re-downloading it if you think that would help. Thanks.
Best,
Sean

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 1:07 PM Sean Swayze <seans...@gmail.com> wrote:
I took a look into it, and this is the result. It appears it's using about a third of the available memory.

<Mail Attachment.png>

Jeff Reminga

Jul 9, 2020, 2:46:06 PM7/9/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

You can try uninstalling and re-installing - it can't hurt.
You are using Windows 10, correct?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jon Storrick

Jul 9, 2020, 2:52:27 PM7/9/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Does this happen with any regularity? Does it happen in one part of ORA more than another part?

For example, could you import meta-networks and run reports and nothing would go wrong, but open up the visualizer and the problem reappears?

--
Jon Storrick |  jon.storrick (at) gmail.com

Sean Swayze

Jul 9, 2020, 2:57:25 PM7/9/20
to ORA Google Group

Hi Jon,

It’s definitely tricky to pin down exactly what I’m doing that’s causing it, but it doesn’t seem to happen until after I’ve used some of the settings. In my latest attempt, I was able to go without it until I had visualized some data set and then closed that window. The specifics of the glitch seem to be that these multiple stacks of windows “spawn” in the wake of my mouse. However, readjusting the size of the window seems to temporarily reset the screen and eliminates the duplicate screens. Another thing I noticed is that when I hover over the true location of the buttons, they seemed to be rendered on top of the duplicate screens, though their surroundings don't. It does happen regularly though, I don't think there's been a time when this hasn't happened. I have a class that starts in a few minutes, but I'd be happy to share my screen in a zoom call or something like that is that would be helpful. If so, I'd be available for probably about an hour starting at 4:30. Thanks.

Best,

Sean