telecon

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Feb 14, 2008, 8:52:27 AM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com

we have no NCBO call-in number any more.
i cannot use skype from work, and it is difficult for me to go home in the middle of the day.
Christian is overseas and calling form home, so a free connection would be good for him

does anyone have a solution?
i have a toll number in the us that we can use, but we'd each be paying the connection charge
there is google talk, but i can't see how to call more than one person at a time

...jennifer

Jennifer Fostel, Ph.D.
CEBS Scientific Administrator
SRA International

Laboratory of Respiratory Biology
NIEHS, NIH
PO Box 12233 Mail Drop F1-05
111 Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park NC 27709-2233

phone 919 541 5055
fax 919 541 1460

W. Jim Zheng, Ph.D.

Feb 14, 2008, 9:16:19 AM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Jennifer;

I have been using Skype and Windows Live Messenger for quite a while and they all work great.  Skype has better audio.  Nowadays webcam sells at very low price.  Maybe you can get a webcam and we can use Skype or Windows Live Messenger.  I use Windows Live Messenger to make video calls to China and it works fine.

Jim

W. Jim Zheng, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Dept. Biostatistics, Bioinformatics & Epidemiology

Medical University of South Carolina

135 Cannon Street, Suite 303

P.O. Box 250835

Charleston, SC 29425

Phone: 843-876-1123

Fax: 843-876-1126

email: zhe...@musc.edu

http://people.musc.edu/~zhengw

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Feb 14, 2008, 9:59:32 AM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
the us government prohibits skype from work, so i have to go home to make the call.  :(
i can't take off in the middle of the day

Feb 14, 2008, 10:35:22 AM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
changing the time would work.
i think NCBO cancelled the phone line for everyone

Feb 14, 2008, 1:39:08 PM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to pass the following info to everyone. I emailed Barry and
asked for the update on what happened to the conference call number
and got the following back.
> On Feb 8, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Smith, Barry wrote:
>
>> Dear Herb,
>> Stanford has closed down its telecon account, unfortunately -- it
>> was proving too expensive.
>> Currently they are using
>> http://www.freeconference.com/
>> which seems to work quite well. (For a non-toll-free number for use
>> by conference participates it costs nothing for the hosting.)
>> Sorry about this.
>> Hope life is treating you well.
>> Barry
I will attempt to test this out today and see if it might work for us
Herb Hagler

On Feb 14, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Richard H. Scheuermann , Ph.D. wrote:

> 6 pm eastern would be midnight in europe. This doesn't sound like
> it would be acceptable, but I'll let Christian chime in.
>
> Richard
>
> On Feb 14, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C] wrote:
>
>> changing the time would work.
>> i think NCBO cancelled the phone line for everyone

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Feb 14, 2008, 2:14:19 PM2/14/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
it works well; i have a phone number if wew want to use it.
it is just that Christian will be paying megabucks

W. Jim Zheng, Ph.D.

Cristian Cocos

Feb 15, 2008, 6:04:07 AM2/15/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
Hiya all, no worries about me as I kept (and I intend to keep) my Vonage
Canadian phone number, and have 500 mins./mth free all across NAmerica. I
can, hence, afford to call any non-toll-free number with no problems.

Just get back to me with call instructions (or some URL).

TTYL,

Herb Hagler

Feb 19, 2008, 9:49:18 AM2/19/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
All,
Per Barry's advice I have setup a Free Conference Call Account with www.freeconference.com
Free is relative because we each have to pay for a long distance phone
call.
Instructions are:
dial 1-218-486-1600
at prompt enter access code 831986 followed by # sign.
I just tested it out and it seems to work ok.
So for our next meeting we will see how this work. Let me know when
you would like to restart the bi-weekly calls.
Cheers,
Herb Hagler

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Feb 19, 2008, 9:52:09 AM2/19/08
to OC...@googlegroups.com
great! thanks!

let';s plan for this thursday, 11 eastern
that was our usual time.
we can go through and vet the terms that have definitions, and try to
get over to OBI

...jennifer

Herb Hagler

Feb 19, 2008, 9:55:45 AM2/19/08