Aug NWCPP Meeting

Lloyd Moore

Aug 1, 2021, 12:08:00 PM8/1/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Python Binds for C++

Please welcome Leonard Mosescu as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 18th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

Coming Soon!

Speaker Bio

By day, Leonard Mosescu is a compiler engineer, having worked on various parts of the Microsoft Visual C++ toolchain, then on the Android runtime and dev tools for Google, and currently working on the Nvidia CUDA toolchain. By night, he’s pursuing an old interest in AI and Evolutionary Algorit

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Aug 3, 2021, 8:40:05 PM8/3/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Python Binds for C++

Please welcome Leonard Mosescu as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 18th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

A quick introduction to Python / C++ interoperability, with a focus on pybind11, a lightweight Python bindings library. For a concrete example, we’ll dive into the design and implementation of Python bindings for the Darwin Neuroevolution Framework.

Speaker Bio

By day, Leonard Mosescu is working on Deep Learning compilers and frameworks at NVIDIA. By night, he’s pursuing an old interest in AI and Evolutionary Algorithms.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Aug 14, 2021, 1:27:23 PM8/14/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Aug 18, 2021, 9:09:42 AM8/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Aug 20, 2021, 8:35:43 PM8/20/21
to NWCPP Announce

Resources

Slides

Video

Code

Lloyd Moore

Aug 22, 2021, 12:00:10 PM8/22/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Lightning Talks!!!

Time and Location

Aug 18th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

This month will be an open forum for a series of lightning talks. Each talk should be 5-10 minutes in length. If you would like to give a talk, simply show up to the meeting! At the start of the meeting we’ll collect a list of talks and then dive in! This is intended to be an opportunity for folks to present on subjects that may not be large enough for an hour long presentation. Additionally if you are planning to give a lightning talk at CppCon next month please feel free to use this as a practice session!

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Aug 30, 2021, 9:05:00 AM8/30/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Sep 4, 2021, 11:50:49 AM9/4/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Sep 11, 2021, 11:32:41 AM9/11/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Sep 11, 2021, 1:10:42 PM9/11/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Lightning Talks!!!

Time and Location

Sept 15th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

This month will be an open forum for a series of lightning talks. Each talk should be 5-10 minutes in length. If you would like to give a talk, simply show up to the meeting! At the start of the meeting we’ll collect a list of talks and then dive in! This is intended to be an opportunity for folks to present on subjects that may not be large enough for an hour long presentation. Additionally if you are planning to give a lightning talk at CppCon next month please feel free to use this as a practice session!

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Sep 11, 2021, 1:16:48 PM9/11/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Sep 15, 2021, 9:03:17 AM9/15/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Sep 18, 2021, 11:04:11 AM9/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 1, 2021, 7:18:28 PM11/1/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

Conan Package Manager for C++ in Practice

Please welcome Diego Rodriguez-Losada of JFrog as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Nov 17th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

The Conan package manager for C++ is useful in both simple and advanced development environments. Join the Conan team to see it in action, with a simple demo using OSS libraries and tools from ConanCenter, and a more complete demo showing how to create and upload a package including different binaries for different platforms to a private repository. Also, learn about many other unique and innovative advanced Conan features along the way.

Speaker Bio

Diego Rodriguez-Losada‘s passions are robotics and SW engineering and development. He has developed many years in C and C++ in the Industrial, Robotics and AI fields. Diego was also a University (tenure track) professor and robotics researcher for 8 years, till 2012, when he quit academia to try to build a C/C++ dependency manager and co-founded a startup.. Since then he mostly develops in Python. Diego is a conan.io C/C++ package manager co-creator and maintainer, now working at JFrog as Conan Lead Architect and C/C++ Advocate.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Nov 6, 2021, 12:09:56 PM11/6/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 13, 2021, 10:57:09 AM11/13/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 17, 2021, 9:09:50 AM11/17/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 18, 2021, 9:38:57 PM11/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

The video from last night is now available. Also please remember that we do not have a meeting in December, we'll see you in January. Happy Holidays!!

Resources

Video A link to the slides is available in the video along with a promo t-shirt for the first 25 people to register with the link.

--

---

Lloyd Moore

Dec 18, 2021, 2:05:31 PM12/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

What's new with Chapel?  Applications, Aggregators, and Accelerators

Please welcome Brad Chamberlain of Hewlett Packard Enterprise (formerly Cray Inc.) as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Jan 19th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

Chapel is a language supporting productive parallel programming on large-scale supercomputers.  Chapel strives for a Python-like experience in terms of code clarity, yet with the type-safety and flexibility you'd expect from a language like C++ combined with the performance and scalability that the HPC community expects from standard approaches for scalable computing, like MPI.

In this talk, I'll start with a quick overview of Chapel for those who have either missed my prior NWCPP talks or need a refresher.  From there, I'll move on to recent highlights on the project, including: some significant and recent applications that have been written in Chapel; optimizations that aggregate communications to improve performance; and a nascent effort to target GPUs using native Chapel code.

Speaker Bio

Brad Chamberlain is a Distinguished Technologist at Hewlett Packard Enterprise (formerly Cray Inc.) who has spent his career focused on user productivity for HPC systems, particularly through the design and development of the Chapel parallel programming language (https://chapel-lang.org).  He received his Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering from the University of Washington in 2001 and remains associated with the department as an affiliate professor of the Paul G. Allen School.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Jan 3, 2022, 1:12:14 PM1/3/22
to NWCPP Announce
--

---

Lloyd Moore

Jan 8, 2022, 2:10:21 PM1/8/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 15, 2022, 11:46:02 AM1/15/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 19, 2022, 3:06:56 PM1/19/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 20, 2022, 9:45:21 PM1/20/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the resource from last the meeting last night:

Resources

Slides

Video

--

---

Lloyd Moore

Mar 1, 2022, 9:07:09 AM3/1/22
to NWCPP Announce

Building a Python/C++ Package: Vision, Transformation, Documentation, Scale, Portability, and Tools

Please welcome Robert Goddard of the University of Washington (retired but still active) as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

March 16th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

This is a story about an ongoing, unfunded personal post-retirement project.

Leonard Mosescu, in his talk last August ("Python Bindings for C++"), ably covered the core technology for persuading Python and C++ to play nicely together. I will address some of the same issues, but treat this project as a concrete case study, with messy issues beyond (and including) the binding tools (I’m using SWIG).

My starting point is SST, a monolithic C++ computer program that generates simulated underwater sound. I built SST over a 40-year career, with episodic help from a sequence of team members with various skill sets. The front end is my own parser, interpreting an incomplete "data description" language of my own invention. The underlying C++ classes are mostly well designed, mostly documented using Doxygen, but they bear the marks of a long and twisted evolution, and some mistakes. SST is reasonably well documented, and in use by a small community of very sophisticated users. It is useful but kinda hard to use.

My desired end point is a C++ library with a Python binding (a set of Python modules) designed to be integrated into multiple simulations focusing on specific applications of underwater sound. It should look familiar to my existing users, plus offer enough extra power and flexibility to wean them off of my language and onto Python, with tools to help on that journey. The project is far from finished — at best it’s a proof of concept.

Why did I take on this project, what should the end product look like to my users, and how can I get from here to there? I hope to both enlighten and enlist my audience, to help them think about these issues and to help me make the right decisions to move the project forward.

Speaker Bio

Robert Goddard Principal Physicist, Retired (but still active) University of Washington, Seattle

Robert Goddard is a physicist and software developer. He retired (sort of) in 2017 after 37 years at the UW Applied Physics Laboratory, working mainly on computer modeling of underwater sound. He is still the architect and team leader for the Sonar Simulation Toolset (SST), which produces simulated underwater sound, suitable as input to sophisticated signal processing systems (including human ears and brains), based on user-specified descriptions of the undersea environment, the listening system, and the sound sources and reflectors placed in this simulated ocean. He has also developed systems for data acquisition and analysis, visualization, modeling of quantum mechanical scattering, and using data to infer model parameters.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Mar 5, 2022, 2:33:48 PM3/5/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 12, 2022, 9:41:41 AM3/12/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 16, 2022, 9:18:48 AM3/16/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 20, 2022, 10:56:10 AM3/20/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the slides and the video for this month:

Resources

Slides

Video