May NWCPP Meeting

Lloyd Moore

Apr 19, 2020, 1:23:38 PM4/19/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
MAY NWCPP MEETING ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Binary Object Serialization using Template Argument Deduction (and pseudo-Reflection)

Please welcome Chris Ryan as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

May 20th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

There are many mechanisms for a program to persist data. Most are slow, bulky, and inflexible, that typically store flat data, in huge unsecure text files and are not able to save complex data structures.

I will present a minimally intrusive technique for serializing data, in a binary format, that is lean and flexible (schema free). When storing, it can deduce the data types. When loading it will dynamically create complex data structures. This is done through Template Argument Deduction and a technique represtivie of reflection. Reflection is unavailable as language feature being that it has deferred until C++23 or C++26. This is compliant with C++14 or later, platform agnostic and marco free.

In addition to archiving data to files, it has an extensible interface for bidirectional communication between processes and/or remote computers, via sockets. Techniques will be demonstrated to minimize storage footprint and secure archived data.

Speaker Bio

Chris Ryan, Classic C & Modern C++ Junkie Extraordinaire, A self-actualized geek. I was classically educated in Hardware and Software Engineering. After college, I mostly used ‘C’, until the mid-early 90’s when C++ became my primarily language. I have worked with many companies in engineering, science, medical, robotics and business domains, as an FTE and a contractor, from doing firmware & embedded projects to extremely complex massive systems. I frequently work on number crunching engines and low-level communication protocols. I have done everything from graphical/pixel pushing/user interfaces to drivers to database systems. I have worked on CppCon as a volunteer staff member. I manage multiple technical groups on LinkedIn, mostly around C, C++ and embedded.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Apr 26, 2020, 11:37:28 AM4/26/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 2, 2020, 1:39:12 PM5/2/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 9, 2020, 12:16:20 PM5/9/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 16, 2020, 12:30:59 PM5/16/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 20, 2020, 9:40:35 AM5/20/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 23, 2020, 12:40:20 PM5/23/20
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Thanks for attending the meeting this week - I'm really happy to see so many folks doing the on line version!! Here are the resources:

Resources

Code Slides Video

--

---

Lloyd Moore

May 24, 2020, 11:18:29 AM5/24/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Remedial C++ 14

Please welcome Peter Williamson as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

June 17th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

This is the sequel to the Remedial C++ 11 talk. Come to see what new features we got with C++14 that were not available before.

Here’s a link in case you want to watch the Remedial C++ 11 talk beforehand.

Speaker Bio

Like the man in black said: "No one of consequence". Pete has been programming professionally for 30 years at companies like Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, and Google. He’s been using C++ for most of that time, and attending NWCPP off and on since the 90’s. He has been known to talk about himself in third person.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

May 30, 2020, 1:24:00 PM5/30/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 6, 2020, 11:55:44 AM6/6/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Slides for the meeting are now located here: Slides

Lloyd Moore

Jun 13, 2020, 3:36:45 PM6/13/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 17, 2020, 9:39:41 AM6/17/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 18, 2020, 10:03:45 AM6/18/20
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

The video has been posted from last night's meeting:

Resources

Slides Video

Thanks,
Lloyd
--

---

Lloyd Moore

Jun 27, 2020, 11:34:34 AM6/27/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Culture of Code Reviews

Please welcome Lloyd Moore as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Juuly 15th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

Most everyone will agree code reviews are an essential component of producing quality code. Yet many groups still do not perform code reviews as part of their development process. In this talk I will share what I have learned on reducing the pain of incorporating code reviews into the development process. In particular we will look at techniques for reducing the time code reviews take, addressing some of the social dynamics that surround code reviews and how to develop a team culture that self promotes code reviews.

Speaker Bio

Lloyd Moore is the founder and owner of CyberData Corporation, which provides consulting services in the aerospace, robotics, machine vision and industrial automation fields. Lloyd has worked in software industry for 30 years. His formal training in biological-based artificial intelligence, electronics, and psychology. Lloyd is also currently the president of the Northwest C++ User’s Group and an organizer of the Seattle Robotics Society Robothon event.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Jul 4, 2020, 12:00:54 PM7/4/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Culture of Code Reviews

Please welcome Lloyd Moore as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Slides for the meeting are available here: Slides

Time and Location

July 15th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
[...]

Lloyd Moore

Jul 12, 2020, 11:26:26 AM7/12/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jul 15, 2020, 9:34:10 AM7/15/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jul 23, 2020, 9:41:19 AM7/23/20
to NWCPP Announce

Resources

Slides Video

Thanks,
Lloyd
--

---

Lloyd Moore

Aug 2, 2020, 11:25:52 AM8/2/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

C++ Package Management

Please welcome Augustin Popa from Microsoft as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 19th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

Coming Soon!!

Speaker Bio

Coming Soon!!

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Aug 3, 2020, 9:58:45 AM8/3/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Take charge of your C++ dependencies with vcpkg

Please welcome Augustin Popa from Microsoft as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 19th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

Dependency management is a pain point for many C++ developers. Many teams are beginning to adopt existing package management solutions, but there's still a large part of our industry managing dependencies manually. In this talk, you will learn how you can adopt vcpkg to make your development process easier, safer, and more reproducible.

This year, vcpkg is expanding significantly by supporting a declarative manifest file, making it easier to manage private libraries, enabling installations of specific library versions, and enabling binary caching workflows to quickly provision CI runs or developer machines.

Whether you're a beginner learning about C++ package management for the first time, or someone familiar with vcpkg who wants to learn about the latest improvements, this talk will give an overview of how to get started and manage libraries for real world projects. Vcpkg's long term goal is to satisfy workflows for all C++ developers, whether you are a professional developer working with millions of lines of code, or a student trying to get through some classes

Speaker Bio

Augustin Popa is a Program Manager on the C++ team at Microsoft, planning and designing developer experiences in the Visual Studio IDE. Some of his past projects include ClangFormat, Google Test, and Boost.Test support. More recently, he is working on vcpkg, the cross-platform C++ library manager.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.
--

---

Lloyd Moore

Aug 9, 2020, 10:27:13 PM8/9/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Aug 17, 2020, 9:21:02 AM8/17/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Aug 19, 2020, 9:27:32 AM8/19/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!

Lloyd Moore

Aug 20, 2020, 8:34:31 PM8/20/20
to NWCPP Announce

Folks here are the slides and video from last night.

Resources

Slides Video