February NWCPP Meetin

Lloyd Moore

Jan 31, 2022, 9:06:40 AM1/31/22
to NWCPP Announce

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love C++ 20

Please welcome Daniel Hanson of of the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Feb 16th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

Over the last few months, I have been working on updating my C++ course materials with topics from C++ 20, as well as drafting chapters for a book on modern C++ for finance.  In this presentation, I thought I would share some of what I've learned about C++ 20.  The emphasis will be on a broad range of highlights such as modules, mathematical constants, ranges, views, concepts, and the new date class, along with a few examples of practical applications.

Speaker Bio

Daniel Hanson is a full-time lecturer in the Computational Finance & Risk Management program within the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington. His appointment followed over 25 years of experience in private sector quantitative development in finance and data science.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Feb 12, 2022, 10:40:58 AM2/12/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 16, 2022, 9:22:13 AM2/16/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 17, 2022, 9:42:49 PM2/17/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the slides, code and video from the meeting last night:

Resources

Code

Slides

Video

Thanks and see ya next month!
--

---

Lloyd Moore

Mar 26, 2022, 7:12:56 PM3/26/22
to NWCPP Announce

Adding Modules to C in 10 Lines of Code

Please welcome Walter Bright of Digital Mars as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

April 20th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

I know what you’re thinking. You don’t believe me. After all, it took C++ only 20 years to design and implement modules. I must be nuts. They must be coming to take me away. [1] But hear me out. Even if you don’t agree, it’s an interesting story. And I know you want modules in your C work, as #include is an abomination in modern languages. #include is as primitive as a VHS copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey. This module method can work with your favorite C compiler, too!

Oh, and wait till you see what importing modules from other languages does to C!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnPG1v61AEk

Speaker Bio

Walter Bright Engineer, Digital Mars

Walter Bright is the creator and first implementer of the D programming language and has implemented compilers for several other languages. He’s an expert in all areas of compiler technology, including front ends, optimizers, code generation, interpreter engines and runtime libraries. Walter regularly writes articles about compilers and programming, is known for engaging and informative presentations, and provides training in compiler development techniques. Many are surprised to discover that Walter is also the creator of the wargame Empire, which is still popular today over 30 years after its debut.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Apr 2, 2022, 10:35:54 AM4/2/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 9, 2022, 3:05:32 PM4/9/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 18, 2022, 8:59:14 AM4/18/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 20, 2022, 9:04:12 AM4/20/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 22, 2022, 9:27:38 AM4/22/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the slides and video from the meeting this month:

Resources

Slides

Video

Enjoy!

Lloyd Moore

Apr 24, 2022, 11:16:27 AM4/24/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Below has the correct link for the slides - sorry for the mix up here:

Resources

Slides

Video

Thanks,
Lloyd
--
Thanks,
Lloyd Moore,

www.CyberData-Robotics.com
Phone: 1.206.715.7628
Skype: lloydmoore

This electronic mail (including attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from
disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s).
Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents
(including attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s)
please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct the
situation. Please delete the original message (including attachments)
in its entirety. Thank you.

Lloyd Moore

Apr 30, 2022, 11:45:31 AM4/30/22
to NWCPP Announce

A Slice of Rust

Please welcome Lloyd Moore of CyberData Corporation as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

May 18th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

Rust is a general purpose, safety oriented programming language. I’ve been using Rust professionally for roughly 2 years now and I would like to share some of the strengths and weaknesses that I have found during that time.

While this won’t be a formal introduction to Rust, anyone with a software background will be able to follow along. In several places I will compare and contrast Rust with C & C++. The presentation will give you a good background as to when you should consider Rust for a project as well as highlight several of the pitfalls I have run into when working with Rust.

Speaker Bio

Lloyd Moore is the founder and owner of CyberData Corporation, which provides consulting services in the aerospace, robotics, machine vision and industrial automation fields. Lloyd has worked in software industry for 35 years. His formal training is in biological-based artificial intelligence, electronics, and psychology. Lloyd is also currently the president of the Northwest C++ User’s Group and an organizer of the Seattle Robotics Society Robothon event.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

May 7, 2022, 11:52:58 AM5/7/22
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore