Leafleting

BikeIntelligencer

Jun 1, 2010, 10:06:48 PM6/1/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
I gave away around 100 leaflets today, leaving copies with Recycled Cycles, Wright Bros. and Free Range Cycles and posting them at the Fremont and Green Lake PCCs. Any cyclist I saw got a copy. The biggest hoot was running into Councilman Mike O'Brien, his pant cuffs rolled up and holding his helmet, at the Fremont PCC! He was very encouraging and passed along some ideas to keep the issue before the City Council.

One thing we can do is to request a public hearing (at a time when the public can actually attend) on the road diet proposal. We should probably coordinate through Cascade. I've messaged David Hiller and have yet to hear back. Rasmussen would be the one to ask officially.

If Rasmussen does not respond, we can hold our own public meeting and invite Council members and others. I'm sure the Mikes and others would help us get the word out and draw appropriate officials.

hught78

Jun 1, 2010, 11:13:23 PM6/1/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
Thanks for making the flier available, as well as setting up the
multiple online accounts. I made a bunch of copies and posted them at
Tully's, Starbucks, Albersons, Thriftway, and other shops in Magnolia
and along Nickerson St.

Hope we can keep the momentum up and see this thing through!

Hugh Turnbaugh

On Jun 1, 7:06 pm, BikeIntelligencer <bikeintelligen...@gmail.com>

Charles Redell

Jun 2, 2010, 2:22:06 AM6/2/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
Freaking awesome you guys! Great work.
I had a dispiriting conversation with Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson which kept me from leafleting today. In short, she's against us and very solidly so. She told me things like "I don't buy the safety argument. There have only been two accidents there in the past few years." I plan on writing her a letter thanking her for her time and printing out the 47 pages of accidents documented by SPD on that stretch of road (more than 60. I counted).
She also told me that she called WA DOT and they are not so sure about SDOT's numbers or reasoning about traffic when the tunnel project is underway. What's interesting about that is that SDOT used WADOT's numbers to create their models. So something doesn't add up there.

Keep putting the pressure on and keep spreading the word! I will be out at Fremont Bridge on Saturday and/or Sunday. It would be great if anyone else could go too.

Mike K

Jun 2, 2010, 6:52:48 PM6/2/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I just emailed Mary Dickerson to voice my support for the road diet.
Here's her contact info if you want to do the same:
http://housedemocrats.wa.gov/members/dickerson/contact.asp

-MK

On Jun 1, 11:22 pm, Charles Redell <char...@charlesredell.com> wrote:
> Freaking awesome you guys! Great work.
> I had a dispiriting conversation with Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson which kept me
> from leafleting today. In short, she's against us and very solidly so. She
> told me things like "I don't buy the safety argument. There have only been
> two accidents there in the past few years." I plan on writing her a letter
> thanking her for her time and printing out the 47 pages of accidents
> documented by SPD on that stretch of road (more than 60. I counted).
> She also told me that she called WA DOT and they are not so sure about
> SDOT's numbers or reasoning about traffic when the tunnel project is
> underway. What's interesting about that is that SDOT used WADOT's numbers to
> create their models. So something doesn't add up there.
>
> Keep putting the pressure on and keep spreading the word! I will be out at
> Fremont Bridge on Saturday and/or Sunday. It would be great if anyone else
> could go too.

Jeff Hall

Jun 2, 2010, 8:00:11 PM6/2/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I e-mailed Rep. Dickerson yesterday, and her response to me was:

"I am currently reviewing all of the safety data and will make the
best recommendations for everyone involved."

Perhaps it's encouraging to at least know that she's reviewing the
safety data?

Jeff H.

Chetan Chandrashekhar

Jun 2, 2010, 8:02:40 PM6/2/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
I emailed her as well today, and she said the same thing.

Chetan C.

Charles Redell

Jun 3, 2010, 1:43:36 AM6/3/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
You guys are all great. Keep up the good work and keep spreading the word! Thanks!