Pre-empting the equivalent costs argument

hught78

Jun 4, 2010, 5:47:06 PM6/4/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I thought it might be good for those of us going to the committee
meeting to have some comparative costs of alternative plans presented
by those opposing the road diet. I think they might suggest something
like, why don't we just station a squad car down there during peak
speed times, adjust the timing of the crosswalk, etc. If we came
prepared with recent costs (preferably in Seattle) for items like this
and pre-empted them, perhaps it could help our argument. I'm not quite
sure the best place to look so for now I'll just Google it, but if
anyone has other ideas or access to these figures please feel free to
follow-up here.

Charles Redell

Jun 4, 2010, 6:51:22 PM6/4/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
SDOT will have costs of new signaled crosswalks/intersections I am sure.

Costs of stationing a police officer could come from SPD.

This is a good idea and something I wanted to look into as well. If you find anything, please post it here and I will do the same.

Chris Rule

Jun 4, 2010, 7:09:52 PM6/4/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
The biggest cost of having a police officer there is not having the
same police officer somewhere else catching dangerous criminals. The
effectiveness of a speed enforcement is limited and temporary.

$200K, the cost of this whole project, would not cover the cost of
more than one signalized intersection. Traffic signals would not
necessarily reduce crashes as effectively as the rechannelization of
the corridor.

On Jun 4, 3:51 pm, Charles Redell <char...@charlesredell.com> wrote:
> SDOT will have costs of new signaled crosswalks/intersections I am sure.
>
> Costs of stationing a police officer could come from SPD.
>
> This is a good idea and something I wanted to look into as well. If you find
> anything, please post it here and I will do the same.

hught78

Jun 4, 2010, 8:15:22 PM6/4/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
Speed cameras, signs that display drivers speed, speed bumps...

I don't know the costs or effectiveness, I'm just playing devils
advocate here.

Hugh

JD

Jun 4, 2010, 8:34:10 PM6/4/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
We did some research at ff on signal costs:

According to answers.com, for what its worth, a new signal at a four-
way intersection can cost around $150,000.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_traffic_signal_cost_to_install

North Carolina DOT claims they can install a signal for $50-100k+.

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/traffic/faq.html

Palmdale, CA puts the cost at $150-200k

http://www.cityofpalmdale.org/departments/traffic/pamp_6.html

However, according to "Tools That Work," which is something Seattle
produced for the neighborhood planning efforts in the late 90s, the
cost of a pedestrian signal is only around $15-25k. Note that this
cost is only for a pedestrian activated signal across one leg of an
intersection, not a full-fledged four-way intersection control. There
has also likely been some inflation in the intervening decade.

Hope that helps, j