The "parallel" trail

Darby

Jun 9, 2010, 11:29:05 AM6/9/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
Just FYI, it may still be awhile before the Ship Canal Trail is
completed and connected under the Ballard Bridge due to having to get
BNSF to move some track in order to complete this. I totally agree
that it isn't a comparable route and that the re-channelization on
Nickerson will get us bike lanes, but maybe more importantly, will
reduce accidents, slow speeds (thus reducing the severity of
accidents), and make the whole corridor safer for all vehicles and
pedestrians - including freight. The loss of travel time should not
over-ride the need for safety.
As a side note, it would be interesting to see if property values
right along Nickerson increase due to a more livable street front-
especially for residents. I suppose Stone Way would be a good example
of a better street front for residents and walkable businesses.
Cheers,
Darby