Public Hearing Talking Point

JD

Jun 3, 2010, 1:36:41 PM6/3/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
Hi everyone, I'm glad to see that there is a grassroots group
organizing to support the Nickerson Road diet. I'm the policy
committee chair for a group called Feet First, a pedestrian advocacy
organization in the greater Seattle area. We've already sent a letter
to the council advocating this change, and hope to have some people at
the public hearing on Tuesday.

One thing that our letter emphasized is that the opponents of the
Nickerson rechannelization have, to my knowledge, provided no
technical analysis prepared by a qualified professional engineer to
support their concerns. On the other hand, SDOT engineers have
studied this corridor, and do not foresee any significant problems.
Challenge the opponents to back up their objections.

Here's our website if anyone wants to check it out: http://feetfirst.info/

James Davis, ff

JD

Jun 3, 2010, 4:22:19 PM6/3/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
As an update, I just heard that Gene Wasserman (an opponent) has
indeed hired a consultant to examine the city's Stone Way study. Once
this is available, it's something everyone will need to examine.

Chris Rule

Jun 3, 2010, 6:29:28 PM6/3/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
Wasserman says he already has a report, but has been unwilling to show
it to anyone. We also have a copy of the letter that he and the MIC
claim that Nickels / Crunican sent to "shelve" the project. It says
nothing of the sort. It says that the city will work with WSDOT to
have a traffic mgmt plan for major truck routes by the time the tunnel
opens.

Charles Redell

Jun 3, 2010, 6:53:10 PM6/3/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
I believe Blake on the SBAB said last night that Wasserman said he would get a draft copy to Blake.... It may be worth asking if you know how to reach Blake?

Michael Snyder (Seattle Likes Bikes)

Jun 3, 2010, 11:56:27 PM6/3/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I gave Wasserman my email and asked that he send me a copy of his
report. He nodded that he would, but I haven't seen anything yet.