Hearing on Tuesday 9:30 AM

Charlie

May 27, 2010, 4:26:47 PM5/27/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I don't have details yet, but there will be a Transportation Committee
hearing on Tuesday at 9:30 AM and this issue will be on the agenda.
Cascade will be sending out an alert shortly, and I will add details
as I get them, but if everyone could try and be there, that would be
great.
Also, if you can spread the word and get more supporters there, even
better. There will be time to speak and we should have at least one
speaker.

More on the Transportation Committee: http://www.seattle.gov/council/com_assign.htm#transportation

Anyone want to help me craft a message to deliver at that meeting?

I am also trying to get on Tom Rasmussen's schedule for a private
meeting and on Mayor McGinn's as well. If you want to join me, I would
love that.

Thanks,
charles

Jeff Hall

Jun 1, 2010, 11:43:30 PM6/1/10
to Supporters of the Nickerson St. Road Diet
I'm going to try and attend this hearing next week. Since I'm a
relatively recent Seattle transplant, I've never been to one of these
hearings before - anyone have suggestions for how best to participate
and get the message across?

Cheers,

Jeff H.

Support the Nickerson St. Road Diet

Jun 2, 2010, 2:18:06 AM6/2/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,
I just made an event for this meeting on Facebook. See my signature for a link to the FB group. Spread the word far and wide. We need as many supporters as we can to come to this meeting.

The best thing you can do is show up, sign in and declare yourself a supporter of the Road Diet. This list becomes a part of the official record and is helpful for giving elected representatives cover for taking a position. You can also sign in as a speaker. Members of the public are given 2-3 minutes each to speak. Not everyone gets to, but it's a possibility. I am definitely planning on doing all I can to speak.

Anyone, everyone, on this list should try and come Tuesday and try and get two other people to come with you. They will have to address our numbers if we fill the room with supporters of the diet. You can bet businesses against it are going to try and do the same.

Thanks!
SUPPORT INCREASED SAFETY FOR ALL
SUPPORT THE NICKERSON ROAD DIET

Join the Google Group.
Join the Facebook Group
Follow us on Twitter
email us at Nickerso...@gmail.com

BikeIntelligencer

Jun 2, 2010, 3:09:13 PM6/2/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks, some thoughts on Tuesday:

To clarify, this isn't a hearing. This is a committee meeting with a briefing on the Nickerson project. But the public can always sign up to speak at a committee meeting.

You should sign in at the door (it will probably be up the stairs from the 5th avenue City Hall entrance in Council Chambers) and mark on the sheet that you want to speak.

You will probably be called on BEFORE the meeting to speak. This is an insanely stupid way to do things because you cannot react to what often are misconceptions and errors in the briefing itself. But that's usually the pattern.

It's a good idea to prepare remarks. You can feel free to read them. It gives you a more serious and professional air.

Keep 'em short and punchy.

If there's a bunch of folks speaking, try not to repeat a previous speaker, or if you do, just in passing, e.g., "As the previous speaker said..." There's plenty of ground to cover and you can undoubtedly embellish on previous speakers.

If business people speak and provide wrong information, be sure to correct them.

Talk among yourselves before the session to coordinate. If someone's motivated, copy everyone's name off the sign-in sheet for followup contacts.

Whoever from Cascade is there, ask them if they've made an official request for a public hearing. It's possible to do so at this meeting.

As you might've guessed, I can't be there! I'm out of town but will be there in spirit.

Paul Ruiz

Jun 3, 2010, 1:41:21 PM6/3/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
Here is a video of the Transportation Committee meeting where they last discussed the 2010 Bicycle Master Plan Work Program.  Nickerson st and diet opposition is heavily discussed.  If you plan on going to the meeting, this one is ia must see.

If you want to skip all the skybridge talk that has nothing to do with bikes, start at 15 minutes in.

Suggestions for comment issues to address:
  * Why the canal path doesn't effectively serve bike commuters or address cyclist/pedestrian safety
  * Public awareness of Stone Way road diet report
  * The public desires continued support for this Road diet and the Bicycle Master Plan priorities of work beyond just sharrows in general **

** They'be been mostly implementing planned sharrow instead of more intrusive bike lanes and road revisions because of "fear of lack of political support", according to the above meeting video.

FYI, public comment does indeed take place before the briefing.

Chris Rule

Jun 3, 2010, 2:43:40 PM6/3/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
This is great - need to transcribe Tim Burgess at 34:00 if someone can help!

Charles Redell

Jun 4, 2010, 1:14:47 AM6/4/10
to nickerson...@googlegroups.com
I think this is the part you wanted Chris, right?

It's a great example of a street project moving toward a complete street application there on Nickerson where the change of just doing that has created lots of angst for people in the neighborhood. I just keep pointing people to Stone Way just across the canal where we heard a lot of the same arguments: The street diet there is going to disrupt freight and shipping and all of those things. It just hasn't happened and it's turned out quite well. So my neighbors in the QA area I think need to see the bigger picture of what's possible here and not get hung up on the some of the resistance to change.

Kelli Currie

Jun 4, 2010, 6:47:27 PM6/4/10
to Chris Rule, nickerson...@googlegroups.com, Kelli Currie

Unless someone's already on it, I can turn it around tonight.

On Jun 4, 2010 11:28 AM, "Chris Rule" <chris...@cascadebicycleclub.org> wrote:

Super – there’s another quote at 60:00 in I think, that is pretty interesting.  Kelli (cc’ed) already may be on top of this!

Chris Rule
Organizer - Cascade Bicycle Club

206-371-1242
Cascade Bicycle Club
Cascade Bicycle Club Education Foundation
Find Cascade on Facebook, Twitter and our Bike Blog.
"Creating a Better Community Through Bicycling."

I think this is the part you wanted Chris, right?

It's a great example of a street project moving toward a complete street application there o...

image001.png

Kelli Currie

Jun 5, 2010, 12:00:30 AM6/5/10
to Chris Rule, nickerson...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Sorry this took me a bit longer. Here's Tim Burgess @ 60:03

"Well, uh and we need ... I agree.  We need to tell our success stories.  Because I think most of the resistance is fear of change.  And if we would be more aggressive in telling our success stories, like, I mentioned Stone Way.  I remember California Avenue Southwest, which was a long time ago, actually.  But same complaints, same concerns, and, you know, that's generally worked really well.  Westlake Avenue, when we said we were going to switch to two-way; the world was coming to an end, and it's worked great.  So, I think we need to be telling our success stories, as well. To reassure folks, that we do have those various concerns in mind as we do this planning, and yet, we need to keep moving."