gmote v xbmc remote

Joe Born

Oct 30, 2010, 5:47:18 PM10/30/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I've played with gmote and the xbmc remote for audio and xbmc seems a considerably more robust interface, you can browse by dbase (song, artist, etc) instead of just file and it allows playlist addition, etc.  Just curious if others that have tried both have views

Jeremy Coleman

Nov 1, 2010, 10:48:26 AM11/1/10
to Neuros
I would agree that xbmc remote is better for primary media control.
The main reason for gmote in my opinion is non media control/playback
use. The majority of my usage with the LINK lately has been hulu.
The trackpad mode of gmote is extremely useful in this scenario. I
would even go as far as to say it is absolutely necessary if we want
to consider the tablet as a complete control device for the LINK.

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 1, 2010, 11:32:23 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com, Jeremy Coleman
have you tried hulu-desktop? it works pretty well with a lirc remote. don't
know how it will work with any of the android options though i'm eager to try.
agreed that a pointing device and full keyboard is desired regardless but in
addition to a solid remote.

stel valavanis http://www.onshore.com/

Jeremy Coleman

Nov 1, 2010, 2:30:31 PM11/1/10
to Neuros
My personal experience with Hulu Desktop is that I hate it. ;) It
performs "O.K." on my dual core laptop with 2 gigs of RAM, but on my
LINK it is barely satisfactory. Playback is much smoother for me
through the browser. I also just didn't care for the way the
interface looked and operated. I'm not really 100% sure why, it just
feels un-refined to me.

For me personally my goal is to have as few control devices as
possible. I hope that someday I can have a 7" tablet with a
capacitive touchscreen (for better typing and mouse control) and a
builtin/add-on IR emitter with software that works with congruity/
concordance to get it's config from the logitech harmony website.
Obvoiusly the time for something like that at a reasonable price ($150
or less) is not quite here yet, but I think within a couple years it
would be perfectly feasible. It will probably be another 5+ years or
so for battery, solar, and displays to get to where I'd really like so
that the device doesn't ever need to be plugged in or have the
batteries recharged/replaced. I'm thinking something along the lines
of the new solar powered wireless logitech keyboard that's coming out.
The thing is charged by solar and can supposedly run for 3 months
without sun. Obviously real world usage will probably show a
diminished capacity, but it's still awesome as long as they make the
battery pack replaceable in case of eventual failure.

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 1, 2010, 4:16:07 PM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
i hear you.

Joe Born

Nov 1, 2010, 8:54:00 PM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I think we can afford to have bigger batteries in a control device.  The sonos remote is a brick, but it seems like a non issue, you're not carrying it around in your pocket, it feels solid (at least to me).

These things also need some fancy power management, it needs to be instant with play pause, etc even if its been sitting for 30 minutes.  If it takes 30 sec to wake up before you can pause, well, that's worthless.

Joe

--
FOR REALTIME DISCUSSION GO TO IRC #neuros on freenode

Joe Born
Neuros Technology Intl., LLC
twitter: http://twitter.com/neurostech
jb...@neurostechnology.com
IRC:  #neuros (freenode.net)
Skype: JoeBorn
cell: 773-442-2676 (US)
cell: 86-136-40134556 (China)

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 1, 2010, 10:43:52 PM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
i don't mind an on/off switch for when the device is not in use.

Joe Born

Nov 1, 2010, 10:48:43 PM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Stelios Valavanis <st...@onshore.com> wrote:
i don't mind an on/off switch for when the device is not in use.

I agree, on/off is fine, 30 sec to boot might even be acceptable for the first time in the day you are turning it on.  but if you've been listening to music for 30 minutes and the phone rings, you have to be able to pause within 1 sec max.

The Times had an interesting article with feedback from folks using smartphones as remotes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/technology/01remote.html?src=busln