A request for technology advice

Sarah Stewart

May 7, 2011, 7:36:39 PM5/7/11
to networked-learning
Hello everyone

Can I ask for some advice/help.

I was thinking about turning some Elluminate sessions into mp4s for the Virtual International Day of the Midwife 2011, so people can download them onto their ipods/iphones. I have done this very easily with Elluminate Publish. But what I have got is a video that is 157mb big. The idea is to hook it up to the VIDM website: http://internationaldayofthemidwife.wikispaces.com/International+Day+of+the+Midwife+2011

I'm not sure what to do next. Is 157mb too big, even for websites like BlipTv. I'm just wondering if this is such a good idea after all? What do you think?

cheers Sarah

--
Sarah Stewart
EdD Student and Consultant

Leigh Blackall

May 7, 2011, 11:52:38 PM5/7/11
to networked...@googlegroups.com
157Mb for how longer video? 1 hour? If so, that's very good.. especially if its a screen recording of an entire elluminate session.

Some ideas to reduce size.

  1. Shorter Elluminate sessions, or break them up into something like am10 minute talk, then series of 10 minute topical discussions, leaving the viewer to decide what to download
  2. Adjust Elluminate's layout into a tight small space, and screen record a region of say 640x480pixels

Leigh Blackall
+61(0)404561009

Carolyn McIntosh

May 8, 2011, 12:00:44 AM5/8/11
to networked...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered the possibility of using OPs new play.com website Sarah? Not sure if it would load that size but Mike Collins might be able to help you. I think you get to it through insite but my understanding is that it is open and accessible to all.

Carolyn

Sarah Stewart

May 8, 2011, 2:29:16 AM5/8/11
to networked...@googlegroups.com
Carolyn: that's what I'll do. thanks

Leigh: thanks for suggestions...will keep them in mind for next time.

cheers Sarah