Re: Inflammatory article in Haaretz - and two responses

Yeela Raanan

Sep 9, 2013, 1:19:47 AM9/9/13
to negevb...@googlegroups.com, negevb...@yahoogroups.com

Alon Tal writes in Haaretz (http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.544876) so many un-truths and half-truths, it is hard to know where to start. Following are two short responses - by Oren Yiftachel and by Rabbi Arik Asherman.

I will only comment on the beginning - his accusation that the Rabbis for Human Rights are not involved in the struggle of the Bedouin women for more protection against domestic violence. One of the major causes for the terrible rise in domestic violence is a breakdown in the Bedouin economic basis and therefor also social strength. With it came also a destruction of the women's contribution to the family economy. The desperate wish of the El-Araqib people for the right to live as a farming community as they did before 1948, on the lands that Israel confiscated by force in the early 1950s, and that Israel has shown it has no need for beyond desert-forestation (a real oximorn). Life in the village of El-Araqib, and in all 45 Bedouin villages that should be recognized,  will allow once more a semblance of diginity for the men as breadwinners, for the women as important contirbutors to the family economy. And the village as a powerful socializer in the values of human dignity - for men - and for their wives.

Israel has miserably failed her Bedouin citizens by forcing urbanization, and thus taking away their traditional means of living - agriculture - and then forcing them into miserable poverty by never creating a worthy school system nor any other tools and resources for employment. So that today most of the Bedouin men are unemployed, 90% of the Bedouin women are unemployed, and the children and youth can look forward to a similar future. The Prawer Plan intends to urbanize the remaining 50% of Bedouin who are still struggling for the recognition of their villages and lands, still hoping to skip the fate of the people in Rahat and the other Bedouin towns.

By fighting for the right to live in and utilize the historical villages, and El-Araqib as a powerful symbol - the Rabbis are fighting for the right of all Bedouin - men and women - to live a life of dignity.

Dr. Yeela Raanan

and here are Yiftachel's and Asherman's responses.