[Negative Logic] New ruling makes it illegal to refill Lexmark printer cartridges

KAS

Sep 6, 2005, 8:04:13 PM9/6/05
to Negativ...@googlegroups.com
Don’t I own that cartridge?...

When you open the package you agree to the terms written on it, says new ruling. The package says its single use only, its single use only. Its no secrete that having printer cartridges refilled is cheaper then buying new ones. I’ve always had mine refilled and haven’t ran into any problems. I guess I’m lucky for now I have a Canon printer, who knows if they will do the same.

If you ask me there is more then one thing wrong with the recent ruling. First of all, don’t I own that cartridge? It’s a corporate company telling me what I can and can’t do with my stuff. The possibility for abuse is, well scary. Is everything going to have “Don’t modify” or “Don’t resell” or something more restrictive on it? If the box agreement gets broken you’re in fact breaking patent and contract laws. I can see the contract part of it, but not the patent side. If anyone knows how patents got dragged into this, please tell me!

Discuss this

--
Posted by KAS to Negative Logic at 9/06/2005 05:04:12 PM

Kali

Sep 12, 2005, 10:09:24 PM9/12/05
to Negative Logic
I have a Lexmark printer, from experience I can tell you that if you
refill the cartridge, it will not work. The printer sees the cartridge
as empty. I think this is wrong. If they want me to buy a new
cartridge each time, they need to lower the price of cartridges.
Printers are so cheap these days you'd be better off buying a new
printer when the ink runs out. Which is exactally what I intend to do
when the cartridges run dry this time. No more Lexmark for me.

KAS wrote:
> Don't I own that cartridge?...

thelos...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2005, 8:17:17 PM9/13/05
to Negative Logic
I always found that it was cheaper - atleast for me - to buy a brand
new printer, and sell the other one at either a computer refurbishing
shop, or ebay. Sometimes the printers run around $50, and the printer
cartridges are just the same!

RareC...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2005, 11:09:10 AM10/8/05
to Negative Logic
Just buy a laser printer-- then you can go for years without refilling,
depending on how much you print. You don't have to worry about clogged
ink nozzles either, and the build quality is much higher.

Inkjet printers are a scam, have been for many years now.

Abhinav Gautam

Oct 12, 2005, 7:09:43 AM10/12/05
to Negativ...@googlegroups.com
there is a new rule, when
--
-Abhinav Gautam "- - - GIA! Certified Google Expert - - -"
http://tryfirefox.blogspot.com/