Fwd: CASA CRY, NEWSLETTER OF CASA MARIA C.W.

Catholic Worker

Jun 26, 2024, 3:58:12 PMJun 26
to National-CW...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: don2r...@yahoo.com <don2r...@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:32 AM
Subject: CASA CRY, NEWSLETTER OF CASA MARIA C.W.
To: Don Timmerman <don2r...@yahoo.com>

 CASA CRY                                      JULY, 2023

I am now quite limited as to what I can physically do. I have been at Casa for over 40 yrs trying to put into practice what Christ taught. Our goal was always to make it easier for the world to be good.  Michael reminded me that he is celebrating his 25th anniversary of being a Catholic Worker at Casa Maria. He came when he was 18 years old.  I told him that we are grateful for his commitment to helping the homeless, the hungry and trying to stop the oppression of the poor.  He has participated in many demonstrations over the years. He often goes alone to protest at Chase bank which funds the fossil fuel industry, Wendy’s for its refusal to pay a just wage to the  farmworkers who plant and harvest tomatoes.  He also joins Roberta,  myself and others opposing the ROTC program at Marquette U., the stores that advertise and sell guns, assault weapons and ammunition and those government programs that take away the rights of the poor. The young people in the community take care of the homeless guests and do the tasks associated with that. We are grateful to Michael and the rest of the community for continuing the work started by Mike and Annette Cullen in 1961.  ---Don Timmerman

DON’T JOKES

If you lock your spouse and your dog in the trunk of  a car, when you open it, who is happier to see you? /a man walks into a psychiatrist’s office with a cucumber in his nose, a banana in his right ear and a carrot in his left ear.  He asks the psychiatrist “What is wrong with me?” The psychiatrist answers saying “You’re not eating properly.”\  I am disappointed with my doctor.  I went to see him, and he said I should take your medicine every day for the rest of my life, but he gave me only 4 pills!  A man went to the store to get some condoms.  He asks the cashier, “How much are these?”  He responds, “they are   $2.50 including tax.  The man says, “I thought they stayed on by themselves.”  Patient: “How much to have a tooth pulled?”  Dentist:  “Ninety dollars.”  Patient: “That much for just a few minutes work?”  Dentist:  “Well, I can do it slower if you like.”  A brain walks into a bar and says to the bartender, “I’ll have a pint, please.” The bartender says, “Sorry, I can’t serve you.  You are out of your head!” A man walks into the bar with his Chihuahua. The bartender said, “Sorry. We don’t serve dogs here.”  The man says, “Oh, it’s okay. He is my seeing eye dog.”  The bartender laughs and says “The chihuahua is your seeing eye dog?  “What,” says the man. “They gave me a Chihuahua?”                                                                                        What can you do with a blue whale?  Cheer him up. So the voter says to the politician, “I wouldn’t vote for you even if you were St. Peter himself “ “If I were St. Peter himself, you wouldn’t be in my district.” My son recently took up meditation. At least it is better than siting and doing nothing.  I fish, therefore, I am.   I fish…. and I know things.

INTERESTING FACTS

Majed Abu Marshael, Plesine’s first ever Olympian, died due to Israel’s medical blockade on Gaza.  The war on Gaza has led to unprecedented environmental catastrophe.

The Philippines and other nations now sow doubt about COVID vaccines made by China, according to a new investigation by Reuters. The clandestine Pentagon campaign, which began in 2020 under Donald Trump and continued into mid-2021 after Joe Biden took office, relied on fake social media accounts on multiple platforms to target local populations in Southeast Asia and beyond. The campaign also aimed to discredit masks and test kits made in China. “Within the Pentagon, within Washington, there was this fear that they were going to lose the Philippines” to Chinese influence. NATO has accused Israel of systematically violating the laws of war by using heavy bombs to destroy civilian infrastructure in densely populated areas of Gaza.

In Saudi Arabia, the number of Muslim pilgrims who’ve died amid a searing heat wave in the holy city of Mecca has topped 900, after temperatures  soared above 125 degrees Fahrenheit. ----Democracy Now

 "We had a child tax credit that cost $94 billion dollars that reduced child poverty by 30%.  Some say we cannot afford this and yet we have this $1.7 trillion boondoggle [the F-35 fighter jet]."  The Pentagon cannot even  use the aircraft because the software doesn't work.”---The Progressive

In line with recent calls from the Human Rights Council  to cease the sale, transfer and diversion of arms, munitions and other military equipment to Israel, arms manufacturers supplying Israel – including BAE Systems, Boeing, Caterpillar, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Oshkosh, Rheinmetall AG, Rolls-Royce Power Systems, RTX, and ThyssenKrupp – should also end transfers, even if they are executed under existing export licenses. Financial institutions investing in these arms companies are also called to account. Investors such as  Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase and others.  AIPAC is spending $17,000 a hour to crush Rep. Bowman who opposes the war on Gaza.  –Code Pink

The United States, the first and only country to use an atomic weapon in war, spent $51.5 billion on its nuclear arsenal in 2023—more than all other nuclear-armed countries combined. This data, highlighted in a report by the Nobel Peace Prize-winning International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), shows the U.S. accounted for 80% of the $10.7 billion global increase in nuclear spending from the previous year. Russia’s war on Ukraine generates more emissions than 175 countries.  ---Nation of Change
Since Oct., 2023,  500 medical workers were killed by Israeli forces. Percentage of Trump voters who say that a conviction in his N.Y. criminal trial would not affect their vote for him: 63%. Who say that it would make them even more likely to vote for him:: 26%.
Estimated value of U.S. coins lost in the garbage each year: $67,000,000
 ---Harper’s Index    The aid group Save the Children is estimating over 20,000 Palestinian children have gone missing during Israel’s war on Gaza, with thousands separated from relatives or buried under the rubble.  Larry Hebert made headlines in April for going on a hunger strike outside the White House where he held a sign that read “Active Duty Airman Refuses to Eat While Gaza Starves”  The chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee has agreed to back the sale of $18 billion worth of F-15 fighter jets and other arms to Israel, following intense pressure from the Biden administration.  ---Democracy Now    A judge in Missouri has overturned the conviction of a woman who has spent 43 years in prison for a murder she did not commit. Sixty-three-year-old Sandra Hemme is believed to have been jailed longer than any other woman who was wrongfully convicted in the United States.   A new study finds air pollution caused over 8 million deaths in 2021. ---Democracy Now

Julian Assange is finally free!  He reached a plea deal to get out of British prison and avoid extradition to the U.S. The WikiLeaks founde

r did a great service by exposing the crimes committed by the U.S. in Afghanistan---Peace Action Wisconsin

 Thurs., July 25----ANTI-GUN VIGIL at Dunham’s Sports Shop, 2550 S. 108th St., from Noon to 1 p.m. They sell hand guns, assault rifles and ammunition used each day to kill or maim people.

Next week we are to go to our family reunion.  For over 34 years we have spent a week with Don’s siblings and their families at various resorts.  Rose, Don’s sister, started the event.  She lived in Maryland and this was a way to spend a longer time with her brothers and sisters.  There has been much laughter, game playing, swimming and conversations.  Mostly it has been a time of sharing our love and concern for one another.  Rose has passed away, but her humor and love flourishes at every gathering.  Her partner, Suzette, continues to come when she is able.  We lost Don’s sister, Carol’s two sons, Paul and Ritchie also.  Paul’s concern for everyone is carried on by all who attend.  Ritchie's love for competition continues in all of us who play games.  Summer is a time for people to gather.  It can be a poignant time as we miss those who are no longer with us, but it also allows us to understand the preciousness of life.  May all of you have time this summer to gather with friends and family and share the precious gift of love.  Peace, Roberta

CASA MARIA CATHOLIC WORKER

1131 N 21ST ST.   Box 05306  Milw.  53205MILWAUKEE WI 53233  weebly.com

414-344-5745Facebook.com/CasaMariaCatholicWorkerCasamariacatholicworker

A judge in Missouri has overturned the conviction of a woman who has spent 43 years in prison for a murder she did not commit. Sixty-three-year-old Sandra Hemme is believed to have been jailed longer than any other woman who was wrongfully convicted in the United States.  ---Democracy Now