John Roughan's column

Des

Feb 10, 2009, 11:23:29 PM2/10/09
to New Zealand Brights Local Constituency
I have made a complaint to the HRC about the last section of John
Roughan's column in the last Weekend Herald, which read:

"Waitangi is a spiritual event. Helen Clark is not spiritual at all.
She simply could not do what Jenny Shipley did, and Jim Anderton, John
Key and, yesterday, Phil Goff.

At Waitangi she couldn't offer a prayer. She couldn't find the
capacity in her soul to say something humble, heartfelt and uplifting
in the cradle of the nation's hopes."

Borrowing heavily from the Brights major aims, my complaint is:

"I have a naturalistic worldview free of all supernatural and mystical
elements. Like Helen Clark I am not spiritual at all. Roughan
therefore excludes me from participating in the Waitangi event. He
implies that because I do not pray I am a lesser person, not capable
of participating fully and equitably in civic or national affairs. By
publishing his opinion in a national newspaper he is encouraging
others to think the same way.
I feel like I am being asked to ride in the back of the bus because I
do not share the religious beliefs of the majority."

I did this as an individual, because of course no one can claim to
represent The Brights or NZ Brights, but I would be interested in your
feedback. I thought I had to act quickly as there may be a time limit
on these complaints, but I can always quietly withdraw if there is a
convincing argument against the complaint amongst the group. Likewise
if you think there is something I should have added, please let me
know.

Cheers,
Des

David Stott

Feb 11, 2009, 12:54:05 AM2/11/09
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
Des, you have my full support. As you know, I was never a fan of Helen
Clarke, but it's quite wrong to assume that spirituality means a belief in a
deity to whom one can pray. And prayers are categorically not the only way
"to say something humble, heartfelt and uplifting".

David

John Shaw

Feb 11, 2009, 1:55:42 AM2/11/09
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you, Des.
To me Roughan is saying:

* Waitangi is a spiritual event.
* You are not spiritual.
* Therefore you are not qualified to participate.

Furthermore he implies faking it would be OK.

John

Ken Spagnolo

Feb 12, 2009, 4:38:24 AM2/12/09
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
Happy Darwin Day!

Des Vize

Feb 12, 2009, 5:09:22 PM2/12/09
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
Ken

Hope you had a great day.  I met up with several other NZ Brights at the seminar at Auckland Uni.  The seminar was well-attended and had some excellent speakers.  I saw Christchurch featured on the news last night.  Can anyone else report any celebrations around the country?

Cheers,
Des

Des Vize

www.the-brights.net
THE BRIGHTS: ILLUMINATING AND ELEVATING THE NATURALISTIC WORLDVIEW.
(A bright is a person who has a naturalistic worldview, free of supernatural and mystical elements.)

2009/2/12 Ken Spagnolo <k.spa...@pobox.com>
Happy Darwin Day!