Fwd: New Zealand & Australia's Secular Heritage and its Future Conference - Wellinton 30 August

Des Vize

Sep 21, 2008, 8:42:37 PM9/21/08
to nzbr...@googlegroups.com, Bill Cooke, NZARH (Inc.)
A number of Brights made it to the conference in Wellington.  The attached photo shows John Murphy, Jeff Hunt, Helen Breeze, Bill Cooke (of NZARH, not yet a Bright), Des Vize and John Shaw.  Apologies to Ken Spagnolo who did not make the photo but attended the conference and dinner afterwards.

--
Des Vize

www.the-brights.net
THE BRIGHTS: ILLUMINATING AND ELEVATING THE NATURALISTIC WORLDVIEW.
(A bright is a person who has a naturalistic worldview, free of supernatural and mystical elements.)
June's tree 1.JPG

David Stott

Sep 21, 2008, 9:13:31 PM9/21/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com

You sure that’s John Murphy on the right? Looks more like Elton John to me!!!

And which tree is June’s?

Regards

David

Postal: PO Box 90, Tairua 3544, New Zealand   Phone: +64 (7) 864 7470   Mobile: +64 (21) 107 3885   Skype: davidstott

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL TO THE RECIPIENT AND MUST NOT BE FORWARDED OR DISCLOSED TO OTHERS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.

Des

Sep 21, 2008, 10:07:25 PM9/21/08
to New Zealand Brights Local Constituency
David

I'll let (Elton) John Murphy deal with the first part of your post.

I probably should have renamed the photo. My first wife, June, was
studying law at VUW when she died of cancer in 1996. Some of the
students planted a kowhai tree in the grounds of the Law School in her
memory. I am no expert on trees but it was probably a poor choice for
the shaded spot where it was planted, because the original has been
replaced at least once. When I am in Wellington I usually pop round
to see how the tree is doing. On this occasion I was with a bunch of
Brights on the way back from lunch to the conference venue. This
particular photo shows more of the Brights than the tree, which is
obscured by Jeff Hunt. But, as I said, I probably should have renamed
the photo.

Cheers,
Des

Helen Breeze

Sep 21, 2008, 10:46:03 PM9/21/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com

Greetings sketpical brights

I just got this in my "bmail", fyi for podcasters

The Dentith Files

This week Matthew presents a snippet of a presentation he will be making to the NZ Skeptic Conference concerning the relationship between science and the paranormal.

MP3 Listen to Audio
MP3, 6m21s, 1.5MB

Jeff Hunt

Sep 21, 2008, 11:19:30 PM9/21/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
How embarrassing to be caught in the act of obscuring a memorial tree. Personally I think  I was cleverly adding colour and elegance to it while Helen did the obscuring and I directed attention to the the plaque with my left foot. :-)

As part of the Freethought Heritage Trail I am constructing at humanist.org.nz/hr/homehr.html I will get a proper photo and add it for everyone to see without me in the way.

Looking at the picture again perhaps it would have been more decorative with us standing behind the tree anyway.

Cheers

John Shaw

Sep 22, 2008, 12:32:00 AM9/22/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I blame the photographer; but perhaps that isn't a line you wish to pursue.

John

Jeff Hunt wrote:
> How embarrassing to be caught in the act of obscuring a memorial tree.
> Personally I think I was cleverly adding colour and elegance to it
> while Helen did the obscuring and I directed attention to the the
> plaque with my left foot. :-)
>
> As part of the Freethought Heritage Trail I am constructing at

> humanist.org.nz/hr/homehr.html <http://humanist.org.nz/hr/homehr.html>

> I will get a proper photo and add it for everyone to see without me in
> the way.
>
> Looking at the picture again perhaps it would have been more
> decorative with us standing behind the tree anyway.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Des <des....@gmail.com
> <mailto:des....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> David
>
> I'll let (Elton) John Murphy deal with the first part of your post.
>
> I probably should have renamed the photo. My first wife, June, was
> studying law at VUW when she died of cancer in 1996. Some of the
> students planted a kowhai tree in the grounds of the Law School in her
> memory. I am no expert on trees but it was probably a poor choice for
> the shaded spot where it was planted, because the original has been
> replaced at least once. When I am in Wellington I usually pop round
> to see how the tree is doing. On this occasion I was with a bunch of
> Brights on the way back from lunch to the conference venue. This
> particular photo shows more of the Brights than the tree, which is
> obscured by Jeff Hunt. But, as I said, I probably should have renamed
> the photo.
>
> Cheers,
> Des
>
> On Sep 22, 1:13 pm, David Stott <stott.da...@gmail.com

> > www.the-brights.net <http://www.the-brights.net>

Jeff Hunt

Sep 24, 2008, 11:03:46 PM9/24/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
And now without Jeffrey standing in the way we have.... ta ra....
http://humanist.org.nz/hr/homehr.html

criticisms, comments and ideas very welcome

Cheers

Des Vize

Sep 25, 2008, 8:33:32 PM9/25/08
to NZbr...@googlegroups.com
Jeff

The Humanist Heritage Trail is a great initiative.  The site looks good already and I'm sure Brights will support it with ideas and by spreading the word.

You might like to consider adding Tommy Hunter and the Hunter Building.  I don't know much about the guy but I remember Jim Dakin used to refer to him as one of us.

Cheers,
Des