Novembers News, research and starcharts

Edwin Rod

Nov 22, 2022, 4:46:12 AM11/22/22
to Edwin Rod

Hi everyone

Please find this month’s newsletters, star charts, and research attached.

There was a very interesting look at ocean planets this month and the transition where a planet turns into a mini Neptune, more reading by myself is required to fully understand that one. If your interested in the effects of light pollution there are two god papers to follow up on, and your smartphone is going to be helpful here. A few good ones on the geology of Mars and Io too.

Cheers Edwin

Research papers

A Gap in the Radius Distribution of Small Planets

https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.10375

Potential long-term habitable conditions on planets with primordial H–He atmospheres

Galactic settlement of low-mass stars as a resolution to the Fermi paradox

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.10656

Interstellar Object Accessibility and Mission Design

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.14980

Light pollution and the concentration of anthropogenic photons in the terrestrial atmosphere

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.14131

Citizen Science to Assess Light Pollution with Mobile Phones

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.11140

Visual Brightness Characteristics of Starlink Generation 1 Satellites

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.17268

A subsurface magma ocean on Io

https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.06945

Large-scale Volcanism and the Heat Death of Terrestrial Worlds

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/PSJ/ac6033

An interesting look at geologic activity on Mars.

Tectonics of Cerberus Fossae unveiled by marsquakes

https://arxiv.org/abs/2206.15136

Modeling and Alerts in Support of Human Exploration of Mars

https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.04021

Genetic insights into the social organization of Neanderthals

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05283-y

Interesting News items

In Person or Proxy to Mars and Beyond?

By Larry Klaes, Guest Writer, Red Planet Bound

https://www.marssociety.org/news/2022/10/25/red-planet-bound

Amazing

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/haunting-portrait-nasas-webb-reveals-dust-structure-in-pillars-of-creation

Ice on the Moon

https://spaceref.com/newspace-and-tech/nasas-lunar-flashlight-ready-to-search-for-the-moons-water-ice/

Artemis is around the Moon

https://spaceref.com/science-and-exploration/orion-enters-lunar-sphere-of-influence/

New Zealand astronomy has a rich history of valuable amateur research, and RASNZ is keen to make sure that this continues to be the case in the future, whether that involves people hosting meteor cameras, analysing variable star data, recording aurorae, documenting the history of astronomy, or undertaking visual or instrumental observations (for example).  Amateur research activity can range from collecting data for others to analyse, to actively participating in the analysis and presentation of results in journals or conferences.

The main goal of RASNZ is the promotion and extension of knowledge of astronomy.  One way in which we do this is by supporting amateur astronomers to participate in astronomical research. Further, RASNZ is one of entities that are to be supported by the International Astronomical Society (IAU) under its recently launched professional-amateur (pro-am) relationships initiative.

But if RASNZ is going to be effective in supporting amateur research in the future, we have to update what we know about who is research active and what their needs are.  We have developed a survey for New Zealand amateur astronomers who participate in research, so we can have better information about what they do and what they need from us.  If you have at some point taken part in any form of astronomical research, please help us by taking 10 minutes to respond to the survey and tell us a bit about what you do, and what support you look for.  If you know of somebody who takes part in astronomical research who may not have received this notice, please pass them the link to the survey, so they can also respond.  The survey will be open until 1 January 2023, and we expect to report results in February.

RASNZ Citizen Science In Astronomy: Research Survey

My interests and more can be found @

Thanks Edwin
(A posting enthusiast)
Research_20_11_2022.txt