Interesting video

Casey Creamer

Mar 14, 2023, 9:10:15 AM3/14/23
to nyice...@googlegroups.com

Interesting description of how the thickness of the ice had nothing to do with this accident. Huh?  Well maybe if when you say you have 15 inches of ice, you really have 4” of ice, 6” of slush, water, or air and then another 5” of refrozen slush on top, there could be an issue.

That is why AMEC doesn’t have problems like this. They know how to check the ice properly.

Casey

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video-shows-cars-fall-into-st-lawrence-river-during-ice-racing-event-near-montreal-1.6311406

Wightman, Christopher W

Mar 14, 2023, 12:48:12 PM3/14/23
to nyice...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for sending Casey.  A sobering reminder.

A good video link to send out before each dance season to remind everyone of some things:

  1. Proper ice checking per Casey’s note so that #2 doesn’t happen:
  2. The speed at which submersion can happen, meaning make sure your belts are in good working order and your exit path is ready ‘right now’ (doors may not open / welded shut; windows up with electric cranks?  A potential bad situation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4vD-tWUSQ&t=1s   Submersion is at the very end of the video just after 8min mark

River seems shallow there and slow current?  They didn’t come back to retrieve until the next day.  We wouldn’t be so lucky.

The ice blocks don’t look near 15” around the 8:06+ mark, but it’s really difficult to tell.  I don’t trust river ice anyway, but that’s down here in the tropics of NY southern tier.  Possibly they were slowly traversing an area of the track that had been worn down through a day of racing and 15Klbs of cars (3 of them) was too much.  I’d have to find my US Army Corp of Engineers guide to ice thickness and vehicles, but memory seems to say 15” of good ice should hold that weight without issue.  Back to Casey’s point…

Mar 14, 2023, 1:01:11 PM3/14/23
to nyice...@googlegroups.com

Notice how much the cars were porpoising.  I don’t think that has anything to do with aerodynamics. I am sure it didn’t help the situation any. I also noticed that none of the chunks of ice appeared to be anywhere near 15” or even 10”.

I know that we like a soft suspension on the ice, but watching those cars bounce that much was making me nauseous. They also had quite wide rear tires

Dave Burnham

Mar 14, 2023, 1:17:13 PM3/14/23
to nyice...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Here are my thoughts on their ice. It was totally unsafe looking at all the photos of the ice chunks that we could find. It looks like they had about 3” of good ice and maybe 8 or 9” of “snow ice” or whatever you want to call it. AMEC decided not to race this year when we had 7” of good ice under 7 inches of snow ice. We figured we would need about 20” of that stuff to not chew threw it right away and get wet. Their snow banks were sinking and wet which is another indication of weak ice. They also raced on the same ice and course 3 weeks in a row with those heavy stock cars. They also use the Canadian MF screws which are very aggressive. Ice is like metal if you flex it enough it will break and I think that’s what we saw and it almost shattered like glass when it broke.

AMEC used to have s rule  that you had to be able to get out of the car within 10 seconds and we used to check that in tech. We need to start doing that again if we ever race again. There are a couple of very “big” race car drivers that we have that I do not think they can get out in under 30 seconds. I know this because it takes them longer than that just to get in.

One last thing to consider AMEC put in a rule that every car had to have seat belt cutter and a glass breaker inside the car within reach of the driver for this season. They cost about $10 each. Most new cars if you’re driving and go under water could have a big problem with doors that automatically lock and windows that won’t electrically go down. It may be the only way out of the car in a hurry. Especially if the doors won’t open because the car is wedged in the ice as it goes under.

Scary stuff and those people were really lucky.

Dave Burnham

AMEC President for 17 more days not that I am counting:-O