Question about Buffered or Unbuffered Acid-free Boxes

1 view

David Kay, MLS

Mar 30, 2017, 1:12:45 PM3/30/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Hi everyone,

Here's a difficult question that some of you more experienced photo archivists, chemists, or AV archivists/educator can answer.

When storing magnetic media (videotapes) and photos, do people still recommend that the acid-free boxes should be unbuffered?
If so, can you point me to a resource (print, electronic or human) that can help explain why?

I have a suspicion that it's true due to the risk of chemical changes, but may need a source.
Please let me know.

Thanks!

dk
###

Howard Besser

Mar 30, 2017, 1:17:00 PM3/30/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
For videotapes, my initial reaction is: Don't put them in boxes at all! It
keeps air from circulating. (that micro-environment could be a bigger
danger itself)
-howard

David Kay, MLS

Mar 30, 2017, 1:19:58 PM3/30/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Ha, good answer, Howard.  I hadn't thought of that.  What would you recommend instead?  Shelving?  Is there a risk of metal shelves demagnetizing tapes?

Howard Besser

Mar 30, 2017, 1:54:51 PM3/30/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Open shelves! I've never heard of any demagnetizing because of metal
shelves. BUT don't put them on bottom shelves. (I have heard of
demagnetizing on bottom shelves because of custodians waxing the floors --
strong magnets in floor waxing machines)

--
._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
Howard Besser, Professor and

Jenny Swadosh

Mar 30, 2017, 2:09:42 PM3/30/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com
What if shelving is not an option? I'd like to know the answer to David's question.

With all good wishes,

Jenny

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Howard Besser <how...@nyu.edu> wrote:

--
Jenny Swadosh
*Please do not add this e-mail address to any distribution list without my explicit consent. Thank you.*

Howard Besser

Mar 30, 2017, 2:28:03 PM3/30/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com
Poking holes in the boxes is more important than un/buffering.

And, to give an unfortunatly lawyer-ly answer to Jenny's question: "it
depends". The off-gassing from acetate bases (that we have on audio,
video, and film) is very strong. So once that process (hydrolysis) gets
going, the box is not going to absorb or counteract it. So if you've
started to get even the slightest smell of vinegar, the box type won't
matter at all. (At that point your concern is more about keeping the
acidic material away from the material that hasn't yet deteriorated that
far.)

-howard

David Kay, MLS

Mar 30, 2017, 2:34:52 PM3/30/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Thanks Howard!  That's really helpful information.

dk

Jenny Swadosh

Mar 30, 2017, 2:39:58 PM3/30/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Howard. It's good to have the reasons behind the answers, if only to say, "If you don't do this, X might happen."

And, of course, the end goal is to get the content off the tape sooner rather than later.

With all good wishes,

Jenny