Directory printing

S. Hand

May 3, 2017, 12:39:27 PM5/3/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Hi All,

I used Karen's printer for some time and was sad to hear she had passed away (a while ago) but now that it has been a few years and several computers later I cannot seem to get her program anymore.  As far as I know no one is maintaining and updating it.  I finally figured out the process for adding a print directory feature for folders in Windows menu as well as a how to print a full tree structure using the cmd window but I was wondering if anyone here has found alternative freeware that works as well as Karen's or if anyone has a working .exe file of her software to share.

Just as a note, for those who do not know how to do this (I sure didn't) the cmd line for printing a tree directory with the subfolders and sending it to an actual document is as follows:

1. select the top folder you want to extract a tree of.
2. click shift+rt click
3. in the drop down menu click open command window here
4. You will see the dos window and the path appear
5. type in the following:
    tree /a /f>[filename].txt or .doc

[ ] indicated to put in whatever you want, it will be the file name of the list. so it may look like this..

tree /a /f > MyList.txt

a file named MyList.txt will appear inside the folder you are creating the list of so you will have to open it to find the new txt file.
You will see a tree structure of the folder, subfolders and files.  from here you can edit, print or do whatever you want.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sarit Hand

Frederic Grevin

May 3, 2017, 1:33:46 PM5/3/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com

Hi Saris,

There’s a free version of “TreeSize” (https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) that allows you to capture and print folder structure, and a number of other useful functions as well.

FYI, TreeSize Professional (more features) costs $54.95 for a single-user license.

Best regards,

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin

fgr...@edc.nyc