Digitizing the Morgue

David Kay, MLS

Apr 26, 2017, 11:26:14 AM4/26/17
to NYDigitalArchivistsWorkingGroup
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever visited the Morgue Archives at the NYTimes?  There was a recent article titled "Cultivating Serendipity" which points out that the vast majority of photos have never been digitized.

"Not that a digital version of The Times’s morgue is likely, or even possible. Of the millions of photographs in the picture library, Mr. Roth estimates that only 1 or 2 percent have been scanned. And the clippings are too fragile, and far too numerous, to be subjected to a scanning bed."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/insider/in-the-timess-morgue-millions-of-news-clippings-and-prints.html

dk
###

Hand, Sarit

Apr 26, 2017, 11:33:58 AM4/26/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com

I have heard of this.  But being that I too work for a news agency with a huge photo archive, much of which is not digitize, it does not surprise me.

cid:image001.jpg@01D16B1C.33577140

signature-96

Sarit Hand

Digital Archivist
AP Corporate Archives

sh...@ap.org
www.ap.org

200 Liberty Street

New York, NY 10281

T 212.621.7035

F 212.621.1723

Frederic Grevin

Apr 26, 2017, 11:53:28 AM4/26/17
to NYD...@googlegroups.com

The scary part for me:

He also spends his time trying to refile everything he’s pulled — although, he said, “I’m about 10 years behind in my refiling.”

What happens when Roth retires?

Best regards to all,

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin