Warrington / Chester area?

Daniel Wood

Mar 1, 2013, 10:40:23 AM3/1/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com

Is there anyone in the warrington / chester area that would interested in forming a local group or having local meet ups?

Richard_Smedley

Mar 5, 2013, 5:51:14 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

On Friday, 1 March 2013 15:40:23 UTC, Daniel Wood wrote:

Is there anyone in the warrington / chester area that would interested in forming a local group or having local meet ups?

Warrington's easier for me than Chester, but I suspect the latter
might have more initial interest - have you tried posting on
Chester LUG (& sc.lug & liverpool lug)?

Cheers,

 - Richard

Les Pritchard

Mar 5, 2013, 6:40:49 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

I'm happy to post it on the Chester LUG mailing list to gauge interest for you.

Les

hsNW is at http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/
& at http://twitter.com/hsNW
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "North West Hackspace" group.

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 7:19:17 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Les,

If you could post on the Chester LUG group that would be great.

There seems to quite a lot of interest!!

May I need to start a specific user group somewhere so we can get an idea of numbers?

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 7:27:41 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com

A number of people have emailed me expressing an interest in having a local meet / exploring the possibility of generating a local hacker community.

I think for now we should focus people to this thread and try and keep all the conversation together.

Its looking quite promising!!

Thanks,

Dan

Richard Smedley

Mar 5, 2013, 7:31:29 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

On 5 March 2013 12:19, Daniel Wood <s.d.w...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> May I need to start a specific user group somewhere so we can get an idea of
> numbers?

Good idea - you could also write a post for the neglected:
http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/

Cheers,

- Richard

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 7:37:09 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
When you say write a post?

Do you manage that blog? How would i get the post up? i've not used wordpress before!

hsNW is at http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/
& at http://twitter.com/hsNW
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "North West Hackspace" group.

Richard Smedley

Mar 5, 2013, 7:44:06 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
On 5 March 2013 12:37, Daniel Wood <s.d.w...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When you say write a post?
>
> Do you manage that blog?

"Manage" in the loosest possible sense of the word :-/ [1]

> How would i get the post up? i've not used
> wordpress before!

If you get a wordpress.com account [2] & let me know, I'll add
you to http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/ users.

If you'd rather not create an account, just send me words+pic
and I'll post it for you.

Cheers,

- Richard

[1] All contributions still welcome, though :-)
[2] https://signup.wordpress.com/signup/

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 7:47:18 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
its seems as though i already have a wordpress account.

Thanks,

Dan

Jon Spriggs

Mar 5, 2013, 7:55:17 AM3/5/13
to North West Hackspace
I would suggest creating a new Google Groups group (or similar) for the discussions. I'd also post to the UK-Hackspaces Google Group [1], and possibly to the HacMan list [2] (as I believe there may be people who travel in to Manchester from Chester). Also, have a look on the UK Hackspace wiki [3] about adding your group there.

[1] https://groups.google.com/group/uk-hackspaces
[2] https://groups.google.com/group/hacman
[3] http://hackspace.org.uk

All the best,

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

On 5 March 2013 12:19, Daniel Wood <s.d.w...@googlemail.com> wrote:

hsNW is at http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/
& at http://twitter.com/hsNW
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "North West Hackspace" group.

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 8:01:03 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Ok, i have started a group called Chester Hackspace: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/chester-hackspace

Maybe we can move this conversation there?

Les,

Can you send another email to the LUG and share the user group address?

Richard Smedley

Mar 5, 2013, 9:44:26 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

On 5 March 2013 12:55, Jon Spriggs <j...@sprig.gs> wrote:
> I would suggest creating a new Google Groups group (or similar) for the
> discussions. I'd also post to the UK-Hackspaces Google Group [1], and
> possibly to the HacMan list [2] (as I believe there may be people who travel
> in to Manchester from Chester). Also, have a look on the UK Hackspace wiki
> [3] about adding your group there.

+1

btw Jon, would you like to post something about madlab's
latest activities to
http://nwhackspace.wordpress.com/
?

Let me know & I'll send you an invite.

Cheers,

- Richard

Jon Spriggs

Mar 5, 2013, 9:49:59 AM3/5/13
to North West Hackspace
Hi Richard, I'm afraid to say I'm pretty out of touch with what MadLab are doing these days, and I'm only vaguely aware of what HacMan are doing. Your contacts here are office {at } madlab.org.uk and the HacMan mailing list.

Since my son was born, I've barely even get to one user group meeting each month, but I keep my oar in the geek scene by following (or, in some cases, moderating) mailing lists for Things I'm Interested In, and occasionally twitter.

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

Richard Smedley

Mar 5, 2013, 9:57:14 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

On 5 March 2013 14:49, Jon Spriggs <j...@sprig.gs> wrote:
> Hi Richard, I'm afraid to say I'm pretty out of touch with what MadLab are
> doing these days, and I'm only vaguely aware of what HacMan are doing. Your
> contacts here are office {at } madlab.org.uk and the HacMan mailing list.
>
> Since my son was born, I've barely even get to one user group meeting each
> month, but I keep my oar in the geek scene by following (or, in some cases,
> moderating) mailing lists for Things I'm Interested In, and occasionally
> twitter.

No worries - enjoy the next two decades of
exhaustion and no time, it's well worth it [1] :-)

- Richard

[1] Or three decades in our case, as our youngest is 10 years
younger than our eldest.

Les Pritchard

Mar 5, 2013, 9:58:54 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

I've sent the link out, so hopefully you'll get some interest. Best of luck with it.

Les

Daniel Wood

Mar 5, 2013, 10:10:20 AM3/5/13
to NW-hac...@googlegroups.com
That's great, Thanks Les.

It would be fantastic if we could get a regular local meet going, i look forward to meeting like minded people and seeing what sort of projects they are working on.

Thanks again.