John Ford Memorial Tree Planting

New River Valley Mushroom Club

Oct 19, 2023, 10:10:24 AM10/19/23
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
Hi everyone,

Many of you know that our beloved John Ford, a founding member of the New River Valley Mushroom Club, passed away June 30th in his Blacksburg home.  Because he was an integral member of so many groups, we all started planning ways to memorialize him once we got the word.  The first of several events is coming up this Sunday from the NRV Chapter of Virginia Master Naturalists:

2 PM There will be a planting of a  Stadium Woods White Oak Tree in the Old Growth Forest in John Ford's memory. Attendees are invited to participate in the Invasive Plant removal from 3:00-5:00 PM the same day. Additionally, we will establish the Annual John Ford Memorial Invasive Plant Removal Event in the Old Growth Forest for the Third Sunday in October (the third not the fourth even though this year it is on the fourth Sunday.)

Rebekah Paulson said that the planting will be near the Clay Street lot. VT Arborist Jamie King & his team have prepared the spot. People will have to be careful to find spots to park legally. Check with Rebekah Paulson if you need more details.

I hope to see some of you there!

Becky Rader, your VP

Walter Pirie

Oct 19, 2023, 11:03:33 AM10/19/23
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
I'm hoping to be back in town early enough Sunday, but I can't tell from this where we'll meet.

Walt

Gregory Evanylo

Oct 19, 2023, 11:41:24 AM10/19/23
to wa...@pirie.org, New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
The parking lot where Clay street dead ends on campus (behind the Y).

Rebecca Rader

Oct 21, 2023, 2:15:21 PM10/21/23
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
Here is some more clarification I got about parking:

Sunday, October 22

2 PM There will be a planting of a Stadium Woods White Oak Tree in the Old Growth Forest in John Ford's memory. Meet in the parking lot at the end of Clay Street known as the Cranwell or VT Engage Parking lot. Faculty/Staff permit required. Other parking on Clay, Warren and Green Streets or in other campus lots.

Attendees are invited to participate in the Invasive Plant removal from 3:00-5:00 PM the same day.

Additionally, we will establish the Annual John Ford Memorial Invasive Plant Removal Event in the Old Growth Forest for the Third Sunday in October (the third not the fourth even though this year it is on the fourth Sunday.) Questions, contact Rebekah Paulson (540) 250-6905.

Another group noted "Parking on the VT Campus can be complicated.  Be sure to read the parking signage carefully.  Parking in town is another option."

3 -5 PM Invasive removal at VT Old Growth Forest. Meet on the paved walk between the Old Growth Forest (formerly Stadium Woods) and the end of Green Street. There may be parking space on Green Street. If not, you can park (on Sunday!) across the street from the VT Police Department and walk up the paved path. If you cannot find us, text or call 540-257-2489. If there is heavy precipitation, high winds, or the temperature is above 90 or below 38, we will cancel. Bring work gloves and closed toed shoes. Contact person is Fred Umberger at 540-257-2489