Morel Walk plans

New River Valley Mushroom Club

Apr 15, 2021, 9:45:03 AM4/15/21
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club

Hi all,

We have spent a long time working on a concept for safely doing forays this year.  We plan to do monthly walks at Pandapas starting in May and then will have one to two walks a month in addition to the Pandapas walks.  These walks will be announced at least two weeks ahead of time so you will have plenty of time to plan.

For this month we’re behind on schedule and we know it is last minute—there will be two morel walks in the next 2 weeks.   We want these walks to be an opportunity for new folks to learn how to look for morels so we are asking that only new people (who have never been on one of the morel walks before) RSVP.

We realize this may be really disappointing to some of you who have been on our morel walks in the past—we hope that you can understand that we want to share these spaces with new members to teach them what you have already learned. All of the walks later in the year will be open to all members. We also encourage everyone to use the list serve as a place to plan your own walks with members!

Here are the dates, I will send out more details in the next day or two.
Catawba/Mcaffees Knob trail morel walk:  Thursday April 22 morning (~ 10 am, exact time being discussed right now!)

Rock Castle Gorge: Sunday April 25th, late morning (exact time is being worked out)

Possible Catawba/MCaffees knob walk the week of the 26th, date and  time TBD.

If you have never been to one of these morel walks and are interested in either of these walks please respond to this email with your name, phone number, email address. There will also be more opportunities to RSVP when I send out the official announcements.

’ll be sending out official announcements with more details in the next couple of days—since we don’t have that together yet I wanted to at least get the dates out to help you plan.

Ava
NRVMC President

For those who are interested I have added our tentative club plans for forays this year:

Foray Plans

As the foray committee we have come up with what we think are safe protocols for Morel season. We will see how they go then adjust as needed for the rest of the season.

  1. We agreed to limit the number of vehicles to 10. As of April 1st gatherings of up to 50 people are allowed outside. But with discouraging carpooling and knowing that parking is our biggest limiting factor we felt this was the best solution.

  1. Morel Forays only: We are requesting that only dues paying new members or members that have not been on our Morel foray come to the Morel forays this year. This gives people the opportunity to meet and learn. If a member has attended a Morel foray in the past then they know the location and are able to go on their own as desired. We realize this may be really disappointing to some of you who have been on our morel walks in the past—we hope that you can understand that we want to share these spaces with new members to teach them what you have already learned. All of the walks later in the year will be open to all members.

  1. We are also requesting that members that have not been on a Morel foray choose 1 or the other to give more people a chance to be involved.

  1. After posting dates for the foray we will ask for RSVP. Once we have that if it is more than 10 vehicles we will conduct a lottery to draw who gets to attend.

  1. The chosen attendees will be asked to provide make and model of vehicle and number of people coming in that vehicle.

  1. While in the parking lot mask and social distancing are required. Masks can be removed once spread out to a safe distance on the trail.

Walter Pirie

Apr 21, 2021, 10:02:02 AM4/21/21
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
Hello
I would like some information on the extent of these hikes to judge whether they are something I can do.
Thanks for all your efforts in setting these up

Walt

Walter Pirie

Apr 21, 2021, 11:08:54 AM4/21/21
to New River Valley Mushroom Club, New River Valley Mushroom Club
I may try to make one of these.