excellent post from Volkan Terzioglu

Postman

Jan 8, 2008, 7:24:49 AM1/8/08
to Noise Asia Culture
by:Volkan Terzioglu
http://www.lumpito.blogspot.com/
(quiet a lot of interested mp3 for download )

Derek Bailey - Anthony Braxton - Royal Volume 1

It has been exactly one year... This very day he passed away...

On May 25, 1996 I visited the Downs Road (was it 14?) where Incus
Records is at and got some lps and cds from Bailey. I will not ever
forget the moment. There he was standing and choosing some lps that he
is trying to give me. One of these is the one with Braxton, Royal
Volume I. Let's hear from Ben Watson:

(...) on July 1974, Bailey and Brxton played another duo concert,
this time in the somewhat less hallowed surroundings of the Royal
Hotel in Lutton. The first part was issued by Incus ten years later as
Royal Volume I [Incus 43; the hopeful title has never been consummated
by a second volume]. There is no 'compositional' agenda, and the two
players dive straight into the knotted tangles that their agility and
high-pitched instruments invite. (...) After grappling like boxers in a
huddle, Braxton and Bailey separate and bob alongside ach other
without engaging in explicit note doublings or discords, but there's
some mutual understanding of tempo as the pace never relents and they
recombine without a moment of confusion. As the dialogue deepens and
Bailey's accompaniment starts to sound orchestral, the clarinet/
guitar pairing suddenly seems classic (...). As Bailey and Braxton reach
a mellifluous congruity - though not via subservience to any known
music - it's evident that they'll soon delight in picking it all apart
again. This is music as purest thought; each affirmation is pursued by
a denial or question Like reading Finnegans Wake, it takes a few
passages before the mind adjusts an starts listening in the right way;
suddenly there are glimpses of a world where pure intuition could
speak, transcending established vocabulary and grammer. (...) One awaits
the release of Royal Volume 2 with impatience.

quoted from Ben Watson's book "Derek Bailey and the story of free
improvisation", first publish, Verso 2004, p.192-193.

Now let's hear what Derek Bailey wrote about Anthony Braxton :

Anthony Braxton, who works, as did many of his great predecessors,
to extend his tradition and not merely to celebrate it, has been at
various times a favourite target of the propagandists, attacking him
for: betraying his race (as was Louis Armstrong); being an
intellectual (as was Charlie Parker); and diluting the musical purity
of his tradition (as was John Coltrane). In short, he stands accused
of just about all those things which have previously served to enrich
and strengthen jazz. Braxton, recognised by the musicians who work
with him as an outstanding musical figure, is unlikely to be deflected
by this sort of stuff but if jazz no longer values the sort of
qualities he represents then it has a pretty arid future.

from Derek Bailey's book, "Improvisation: its nature and practice in
music" Da Capo Press, 1993, p.57.

And Anthony Braxton's words:

I invited Derek Bailey to Paris. In fact I wrote a piece for
Derek: at the time I didn't realize he was totally not interested in
notated music. I heard Derek's music the first time I came to London,
with Circle. We stopped over for a couple of days and I played at the
100 Club with Mike Osborne, that was my first performance in London.
Thanks to Dave Holland I'd already heard Derek's records and later
that week I heard him live at the Little Theatre. He did a solo gig
and, boy, his music excited me. I felt I could really play with this
man.

Braxton interviewed by Graham Lock. From Graham Lock's wonderful book
"Forces in Motion, The Music and Thoughts of Anthony Braxton", Da Capo
Press, 1989, p.129

Well, my first exposure to the British musicians who came around
the same time period as myself was through Dave Holland. Dave played
the records of John Stevens and later when we went to London, I had
opportunity to meet these people and I found their music fascinating.
And I try to let them know that I was interested in their music and
that I respected their music. And that I was not coming to visit
England as the angry American who thinks only Americans can play. I'm
not interested in that. And after meeting with Evan Parker and Derek
Bailey, I found a natural affinity with these guys and my musical
experiences with them had been very beautiful for me. And so, yes
their music was very different from mine in terms of the melodic
nature or non-melodic character. But in fact, the melodic character of
my music is only one aspect of my music. The records speak for itself
now. We have many recordings and I have always felt very, I felt
connected to Evan Parker and to some of the improvisers and able to
play with them. And for me, it was always a positive experience, I've
learned a great deal from that experience. But I did not want to only
play improvised music, because myself, for me it would be a
limitation, because my interest is not just in this area of music. I'm
interested in totally music.

October 15th, 1995, interview with the blogger, published at
restructures - creative music forum

And as for the last, there are two wonderful obituaries for Derek
Bailey:
1. The Wire, 2.1.2006 by David Toop,
2. The Guardian, 29.12.2005 by John Fordham.

Anthony Braxton / Derek Bailey
Royal volume 1
Incus 43 (LP, 1984)
1. Opening (opening) [26:41]
2. Opening (closing) [16:13]
Anthony Braxton (ss, as, Bb-cl, cbcl)
Derek Bailey (el-g)
2nd of July, 1974
Royal Hall, Luton, England (UK)

zrs0...@126.com

Jan 8, 2008, 9:47:45 AM1/8/08
to NACu...@googlegroups.com

Postman

Jan 8, 2008, 10:08:02 AM1/8/08
to Noise Asia Culture
you're always welcome!! i will post some more links with some great
albums DL links.
like below one, a lot of important album of electronic music from
early dates, a lot
of master works on there, like Pierre Henry, Luc Ferrari, Luigi
Nono,Stockhausen,
György Ligeti...more and more, check it out!

http://orpheusrecords.blogspot.com/

cheers,
dd

Lee Kwang Goh

Jan 8, 2008, 10:26:52 AM1/8/08
to NACu...@googlegroups.com

Postman

Jan 8, 2008, 10:47:57 AM1/8/08
to Noise Asia Culture
hey lk,

i found that recently too, and http://modisti.com/ , http://differentwaters.blogspot.com/
both are also quite nice avantgarde stuff.

cheers,
dd

On 1月8日, 下午11時26分, "Lee Kwang Goh" <goh.leekw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, not sure if anybody know this, but i just discovered recently:http://www.avantgardeproject.org/archive.htm