Where is version 5.1.2 officially available?

DanD

May 19, 2021, 6:44:59 AM5/19/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Over the past two days, MLO has been presenting me with a download link for v5.1.2, https://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/test2/MLO-Setup.exe

Why the strange URL? Is this a beta?

Why can't this version be on the homepage or https://www.mylifeorganized.net/todo-list-windows.shtml ? They only list 5.1.1.

Richard Emes

May 19, 2021, 10:15:01 AM5/19/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I'm on 5.1.2 and I don't think it's a beta. I got the update through the Help - Check for Updates menu within MLO

Dan

May 19, 2021, 10:57:32 AM5/19/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I came here to say the same thing.

It's not in the change log, either: https://www.mylifeorganized.net/change-log.shtml

DanD

May 19, 2021, 5:16:45 PM5/19/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I hope this isn't a hack...

Dan

May 20, 2021, 9:43:51 AM5/20/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I was wondering if it was a supply-chain attack, as well. Especially with the conveniently coincidental certificate change...

"IMPORTANT: We had to update the certificate that signs the installation. Until enough people download the update, you may see a security warning from Windows. This is normal. Just select "Run anyway" and install the update."

Stéph

May 20, 2021, 11:51:08 AM5/20/21
to MyLifeOrganized
The beta has just been updated, too. Andrey will need to advise whether he's released 5.1.2 generally.

Regarding the comment "IMPORTANT: We had to update the certificate that signs the installation. Until enough people download the update, you may see a security warning from Windows. This is normal. Just select "Run anyway" and install the update."  - A short while ago, Andrey needed to get the beta testers to download and install, to deal with security warnings for their updated certificate.

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

May 21, 2021, 1:32:25 PM5/21/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,

>Why the strange URL? Is this a beta?
It is not a beta. The URL is correct. The version 5.1.2 is released only to some users. The reason is that we updated the code sign certificate recently. Now Microsoft shows a warning that this installation is not verified each time user downloads the update. The warning will be shown until many users download and install the update and as a result the installation and the certificate builds the reputation. Only Microsoft knows how many users should download the update to remove the warning. So I decided to give the update only to some users so that the new users install previous version without this warning from Microsoft Smart Screen. Once the new certificate receive enough downloads and builds the reputation each new update will not have a warning. Three years ago this process took only a few days. Now they changed something and even after two months we still see this warning about the new certificate. After investigation we descovered that many developers reported that this time frame is a normal novadays.

More technical details on code sign certificate and reputation if you are interested.

>I hope this isn't a hack...
No. The installation is signed with our new certificate you can check it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

Thanks,
Andrey.

Dan

May 21, 2021, 2:50:18 PM5/21/21
to MyLifeOrganized
That's helpful, thank you. Since I run the portable version, I always have to head to the website to download it. That's how I noticed that the new version wasn't in the changelog and wasn't available to download.

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

May 21, 2021, 3:00:28 PM5/21/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I've just changed the download URL to this one to avoid confusion:
https://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/5.1.2/MLO-Setup.exe
The portable version is here:

Again this is a temporal location of version 5.1.2. Once the ceritificate gain full reputation everybody will receive this and future updates  from the normal location.

Thanks for bringing this confusion to my attantion. I thought that this certificate transition will take just a few days, but it still needs more time.

Thanks,
Andrey.