Hours context is not working as I would expect/hope

瀏覽次數:42 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Grant

未讀,
2024年5月5日 凌晨4:17:185月5日
收件者:MyLifeOrganized
I am trying out the hours aspect of contexts for the first time.

What I see is if I have only the context with the hours set, then that task shows only in the open hours.  That is fine

BUT! If I add a context that is open (most are open all day) then that overrides the restriction and I see the task all day.

This seems the opposite of hour a limiting factor should work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Grant

未讀,
2024年5月5日 清晨6:51:005月5日
收件者:MyLifeOrganized
I have done a bit more digging and see the paradigm that MLO uses - they use combining open hours because they choose that contexts with included contexts do not exclude any tasks due to hours limitations.
I still would like if we somehow could choose if we wanted to combine open, or combine closed, hours in both the included contexts, as well as in the normal context field for each task.

In the meantime, it looks like one option is to use filters on views where I can exclude contexts I use for times of the day, and show all the rest.
Using tags is also an option, but I think contexts have more overall capability (eg including in all subfolders, included contexts, etc) which would make this difficult for me.

If anyone has other solutions, I would be happy to hear them.

Dwight Arthur

未讀,
2024年5月5日 上午11:38:115月5日
收件者:mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
This is a long standing issue, one of the two most problematic aspects around context hours. The other is that if you have a lot of contexts that have hours that all need to change at once (for example, outdoor activities that close at sunset, or things rescheduled when daylight savings changes) you have to go through the list of contexts and change each affected context individually, you cxant select multiple contexts and change all at once.

For the issue you named, I believe that an easy and very useful solution would be if the user could select between "and" versus "or" for how to combine open times for multiple contexts. I hope this will be implemented some day. In the meanwhile, here are some workarounds:

1. create intersection contexts. For example if you have a call to make in the morning, instead of having a context "calls" and a context "morning" and specifying both, create a context "morning calls". Disadvantage - you end up with an unwieldy huge number of contexts

or

2. create a context for every time segment that affects your tasks, like "mornings" "monday mornings" "before breakfast" etc. include "anytime" and "never". Mark all of your time-related contexts as always closed. Then, every task gets a pair of contexts, like "calls" and "morning". Disadvantage, if you assign a non-time context to a task and do not remember to add context "anytime" the task will never become active. Or maybe make a context "calls always closed" and then is you associate a task with "calls" it will always be open and if you want it to be morning you could specify "calls always closed" and "morning"

both of these workarounds are messy and no recommended for long term work
-Dwight

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄